Snowmobile World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I have my original post down below, so if you haven;t read it please do so to bring you up to speed on this. Todays findings:

Checked offset, was tight, spaced it out .030, put secondary back on rotaed it a bit, torqued it, checked it, way too much?

Rotated secondary, check it again, was OK.

I check it all spots and it seemd to be a bent jackshaft or warped secondary. Easist thing was to change out with another seconadry I have.... Same thing.

I pulled it off and put an indicator on the shaft, no runout at all, perfectly true.

I measured the distance to the outside of the secondary shieves and this seems consitent within .001.

I only checked one secondary, but I assume they are both good there.

WHat is goin on? This helps explain why I had so much problems setting parrallel, but leaves more questions.

IS this something that happens, warped secondarys? How dfo I check it; pull it apart and put it on a flat surface I guess, but can I do this with both shieves?

ANy iput is appreciated, I am racing this weekend at Anchor Bay, regarless, but I would like it to be right!

Thanks

Well,

I just spent the last couple hours adjusting the clutch alignment on my 96 T-cat. I changed the clutch steup for ice racing, and here is how I adjusted it:

1) removed both clutches
2) Set CtC distance by adjusting shims behind the left rear mount
3) Put the secondary on (torqued it), torqed on primary, then set the clutches parrallel (I had to open up the holes on the mounts to get it right). I would say they are within .005 of being exactly parrallel, maybee less. That is a hard measurment to get exact, but I messed with it for a while.
4) Then I set the offset. Turned out I had to use no shims. This is set within .030 (spec is .060).
5) I set the belt height using my adjuster, so there is no float on the shaft.

I started it and reved it on the stand a bit. NOt for too long, but goosed it a few times (engagement at 5200)

When U shut it off, the inner shieve on the primary is quite warm???? I figured it should be cool or at least same on both shieves.

WHat should I check? I really think I have it very close if not perfect.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
rode with a guy last winter and had the same problem. ended up being drive bearing on pto side.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rode with a guy last winter and had the same problem. ended up being drive bearing on pto side.[/b]

Well I guess anything is possible, that wasnl;t what I was thinking at all. I do have race weights in there that are set kind of leight. I gues sthere could be some slippage, but shouldn;t both shieves get hot?

·
Registered
644 Posts
One side heating more than the other would seem to indicate a belt problem, the clutches inproperly aligned, or them not being parallel. It sounds like you've done what is possible with what you have though. You did mention "no float." Are you talking about the secondary moving on the shaft? That needs a bit of freedom. If you're only shimming one mount you may be "twisting" the two axis out of parallel alignment even though it may measure parallel in one plane. (That assumes that the forward mounts allow thy engine top swing in a parallel arc of course.)

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One side heating more than the other would seem to indicate a belt problem, the clutches inproperly aligned, or them not being parallel. It sounds like you've done what is possible with what you have though. You did mention "no float." Are you talking about the secondary moving on the shaft? That needs a bit of freedom. If you're only shimming one mount you may be "twisting" the two axis out of parallel alignment even though it may measure parallel in one plane. (That assumes that the forward mounts allow thy engine top swing in a parallel arc of course.)[/b]
With my secondary adjuster this removes all float from the seconaryd on the shaft? What should I check from this point? I thought about it more and I guess it could be possibel that a little heat builds up there, just because of the leight weight and the heavy spring, but both sides should be the same. I will try tonight to measure the parrallel vertically to each other, I set up up using how the book said (although it was more of an angle measurement I made, should have gottne it boht ways).

ANyother suggestions as to what to check?

What about the secondary situation?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts