Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
tried starting the sled last night no problem runs fine checked compression today with brand new compression tester 140 both sides runs like a new one was sure she blew up yesterday 90 miles an hour and she just shut down like hitting the kill switch and she would not start after let it sit till last night and she fired up tinking it is coil or gas probely fire plugs look perfect nice light brown just hope for the best.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
short?

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
If your throttle cable free play is too loose the safety can kick in and shut you down. This system is designed so that if your cable freezes up or sticks or something after you let go of the throttle the sled will shut down rather than take off without you. If the free play is too loose the switch thinks the throttle is stuck open and shuts you down. I suppose there's a chance that you got some ice in your cable and it actually was stuck open, even just a little would do it. Let us know if it happens again. It is possible to trigger the safety on a properly adjusted cable while you are riding if you kinda hold the throttle lever out to the right while you are giving it gas, but it should start up again right away (unless it iced over!). Sorry if this is too basic but I don't know what you already know :)

·
Registered
644 Posts
The throttle safety thing is a good thing to check, and seems like a probable cause of the original problem. However, he also mentioned poor compression after it happened so I rather wonder if there was an issue with the rings. A brand new overhaul might easily have minimum ring gap which, especially before the parts are well worn in, might get a bit too hot under load and expand just a bit more than the clearances allow. That will create even more heat and possibly even start scuff or scraping metal which can foul the rigs and/or their grooves. If the damage is minimal, it might all appear to go away after a good cool down.

If that were my rig I'd go out and put some more miles on it- with a bit of care not to romp on it too hard for now. I'd pay attention to things that have been mentioned - the electrical connections and switches, and stay within shouting, walking, or cell phone distance of help. Then, after figuring out the cause or at least finding that all seems to be well and getting a few hundred more miles on it, then I'd feel comfortable running her out.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The throttle safety thing is a good thing to check, and seems like a probable cause of the original problem. However, he also mentioned poor compression after it happened so I rather wonder if there was an issue with the rings. A brand new overhaul might easily have minimum ring gap which, especially before the parts are well worn in, might get a bit too hot under load and expand just a bit more than the clearances allow. That will create even more heat and possibly even start scuff or scraping metal which can foul the rigs and/or their grooves. If the damage is minimal, it might all appear to go away after a good cool down.

If that were my rig I'd go out and put some more miles on it- with a bit of care not to romp on it too hard for now. I'd pay attention to things that have been mentioned - the electrical connections and switches, and stay within shouting, walking, or cell phone distance of help. Then, after figuring out the cause or at least finding that all seems to be well and getting a few hundred more miles on it, then I'd feel comfortable running her out.[/b]
hi thanks for all the replies checked out a couple other things all seems fine drove it 30 miles or so since and it's running wonderfull i dont know if it is in my head but it seems to have more power snappier trottle reponse never held it wfo lol not yet wait till i get more miles on thanks again great forum everybody seems to care about everybodys questions thanks fellas there is alot of smart people on this forum have fun sleding.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I'm not sure that I would qualify as one of those "smart people," however, I sure have BTDT when it comes to mistakes/experiences with these "creatures." Perhaps I've even learned a thing or two along the path of hard knocks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts