Snowmobile World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I,am new to snowmobile,s and dont like the idea of going over water is there a way to check if its hard a nuff to cross and is it safer to go a round the shore then strait a cross it

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
I,am new to snowmobile,s and dont like the idea of going over water is there a way to check if its hard a nuff to cross and is it safer to go a round the shore then strait a cross it[/b]
Let somebody else go before you, if they make it, you should too :lmao:

I think the ice is better in the middle, the land stays warmer longer and warms up sooner.

Best rule is : If you don't know don't go.

·
10,054 Posts
They run semis across ice in Canada all the time,,,, I myself aint a friend of the ice, but I have ran the sled across a pond or two in June,,, (at least I tried)

·
Registered
795 Posts
Like catdoo said if you don't know then don't go.
I think the best time to play on the water is when there is no ice. I think that everyone should try it. It might save your life one day if you know how to ride your sled over water. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
335 Posts
Yes Yes, if you have a swimming pool, by all means fire up the sled and try it in the pool before EVER trying to cross ice!

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Hello

we built winter roads across the ice for many years in northern Manitoba and loved the challenge I have a chart somewhere I will see if I can find it and post it for you ... ....it tells you the types of ice....how thick it is and how much weight it can take.

running the shore line is a no no. Respected the ice...

Rick

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Here is some stuff I found on the net I will still post our Ice cart when I find it for you.

There is no such thing as 100 percent safe ice.

Recommended minimum ice thickness

4" of new clear ice is the minimum thickness for travel on foot
5" is minimum for snowmobiles and ATVs
8"- 12" for cars or small trucks

[attachment=37017:icethic.jpg]

Rick

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
The lakes where i live freeze up nice get about 3 to 4 ft of it on most lakes.Up here lots of planes use the lakes to fly up mining stuff to the north. But the thing is you never know where there is current under the ice where its not going to freeze as good, little creeks and swampy shore line will keep from frezzing good too,

·
Registered
361 Posts
not a big fan of the ice either, but my father gave me some great advice when i first started riding, if in doubt, keep your thumb into it and don't stop!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts