Snowmobile World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone changed their water pump on their Cat? Is it a tough job? Is it expensive? I think from discussions on this website and with buddies at home that this may be my coolant disappearing problem. Except for the fact that I cant find any evidence of a leak.

·
Registered
533 Posts
It is not that hard to change.  Expensive?  Can be.

YOu should do a pressure test on the coolent system to find your leak.

newf

·
Registered
4 Posts
i had problem with mine when pressure check it would not leak onles engine was reving when took apart the impeller was loose on the shaft  i had to replace shaft and impeller and mechanical seal but mine was 600 zrt i dont if its the same for a 800 hope that helps

·
Registered
172 Posts
have to ever checked out plugs?   if they were white or had a burnt on soap look to them, you know where your antifreeze is going.   and antifreeze has a way with NiKaCiL.   like newf said, do a pressure test to see if it is escaping anywhere on the outside of the engine.  I am not sure whether or not you have to take the cylinders off when you do the water pump work, however if you do remove them, be sure to check the base gaskets, and make sure the o-rings on the head haven't been installed wrong.
has the engine ever had any work done?(new pistons, porting)

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The engine hasn't been touched. The plugs have been fine all season and still look good. I'll try some of these ideas as the summer goes by. Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
If your pipes are out put a mirror in between your frame and your motor mount,slide it undder your water pump and you will see a bleed hole look for antifreeze or white residue if you see some,pump seal is damaged.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts