Snowmobile World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you knew that the NH senate passed a bill this year banning any type of water skimming (skipping) in NH? That took me by surprise. Skimming at Weirs Beach (among other places) has been a pastime of ours for many years. Now it is illegal. So is crossing a stream or any body of unfrozen water on your sled due to this new legislation.

Just curious if I'm the only one that never heard anything about this until it was too late.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by Droptop@Dec 15 2004, 01:57 PM
wow, never heard of that

so you cant cross a shallow stream in the middle of a trail, thats surprising
[snapback]375682[/snapback]​

I called my Senator and he said, yes, the law passed this summer with no resistance. Not one snowmobile club, national or local, came to the defense of riders. Shows you just how weak and vulnerable our sport is.

The law came about because someone witnessed some reckless snowmobilers (apparently intoxicated) and made an issue of it with the Dept of Wildlife and State Senate until someone took action. The way the law reads, crossing any body of open water on a snowmobile is illegal. I've asked the Senator to provide me the exact text of the law for review.

The only exceptions are for sanctioned events where someone has obtained permission from local town authorities and obtained a permit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Originally posted by flylake@Dec 15 2004, 01:02 PM

The only exceptions are for sanctioned events where someone has obtained permission from local town authorities and obtained a permit.
[snapback]375684[/snapback]​

Wow! Glad you added that last statement! I really enjoy going to the grass drags every year in Fremont. The first time I saw sleds going across the lake I was amazed. There was a ne wevent there this year. It was like motorcross but on sleds. That was cool!

·
Registered
16 Posts
its a no skimming law fine is almost $300 you are allowed to cross over small streams and brooks there more conserned about people crossing open water on lakes and ponds and rivers. I talked to a NHFG office about it the other day. cause i live on that lamprey river in newmarket and some of the trails off the river you cross over small streams that are not frozen and i didn't want a fine for crossing a brook 2' wide.

·
Administrator_X
5,122 Posts
Yep here goes another step toward no sledding at all. They were smart and kept it quiet until it was done. Why aren't the clubs getting together now to try and have it changed? This is a scary direction our sport is moving here and most of it is due to just a few jerks. Goes to show you just how little it takes on our part to ruin something. It's time to start policing your buddies and stop all the reckless crap that pisses people off.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am kind of glad the state passed this law think about it a person crosses a open body of water and doesn't make it 10 gal of gas about 1 gal of 2 stroke oil and chain case oil in water. My town water is bad enough i don't need help from other people. Plus what it would cost the person to get it out of the water would cost a fortune.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts