Snowmobile World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like there are some modifications to the skiis for watercrossing. Anyone know of other things you do for better water riding?
I'm going to try and cross a lake and depth will be about 40 feet so I'd like to be prepared as much as possible. Any pointers?

BC

·
oldslowsledder
6,491 Posts
I read somewhere that people drain their chaincase and install vegetable oil in case they sink.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Um... if you've never done it before, I'd start out small... not 40 feet. That's got to be cold... how do you plan on surviving if things go bad?

·
Registered
593 Posts
If you are just running straight, no ovals, like crossing a lake I would just make sure your belly pan is sealed as water tight as possible.

·
Registered
657 Posts
i'd start out with a boat or a jet ski :p[/b]
I've always wondered what it was like to have a hovercraft :D j/k

I noticed that in most of the videos the people doing tricks over the water have paddle tracks... must help keep 'er up there, eh?

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
tighten your front shock in the rear to the highest setting and loosen your rear couplers to the lowest setting.some friends told me that this helps you to stay up longer but i haven't tried it as our season is over where i live.good luck. :christmas:

·
Registered
304 Posts
if all you are doing ia going out for a few hours to go straight across and back you dont even need to do anything. just add gas.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
One of your best friends for this is duct tape. Seal around all the body panels near the clutch. If the clutch gets wet, you go down, no matter how much power. If you are starting to go down, hit the kill as you do not want water entering the motor and hydro-locking it. This could and has caused warped cranks. There is a limit in how far you want to go when it comes to paddle tracks. From what i have seen once they get bigger than 136x1.75 they actually impede water travel. Crazy'bs new summit 151 is a dog on water and barely makes short little runs. From what we can see is that it just pushes too much water into the tunnel and causes resistance.

Permafrost

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll definitely switch out the 2" track to the 1.25 from the sounds of it.
Anyone ever been thru any small waves - say a foot or less? That's mainly what has me nervous.

BC

·
Registered
593 Posts
Seemed like the ski mods I saw brought the ski stance in narrower.

BC[/b]

Have you ever run water before, like puddle jumping. If not i would start with that. The narrow ski stance and lack of travel in the front end that you are talking about is for watercross where they are doing ovals. If you just want to run straight across a lake the main thing is to make it water tight. Any water in the clutches and you are finished. I have run through waves but the splashing gets realy bad if they are big enough and unless your whole cab is water tight too you will get water in the vents. But if you make the cab water tight then you will raise under hood temps big time. In case your wondering I did sink when i ran the waves that were about 1 foot high.

·
Registered
443 Posts
the only reason you would make your ski stance narrower is because you are doing races or competitions.
if your just going across dont worry man, you have a 700 w00t your skis wont even touch the water, unless you lean of course. all you have to do is find a speed you are comfortable with going across the water with and you will be good.
a good thing to do for your first time is lean back or sit near the back of the sled to keep less weight off the front so your skis dont dig.

:thumbsup:

citation-83

1 - 14 of 14 Posts