Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a small 1/2 acre pond behind my house which I would like to try and drive my sled across. I have an old beater sled to try first (Ski-Doo 340). Has anyone ever attempted it and what are your comments? :sarcasm:

·
Registered
299 Posts
The link at the top of the page, SW My COMMUNITY, click on that, Click on image gallery, then you can look at the pictures that are posted there of water skipping. I've done it before in the winter, it is lots of fun... I'm not too sure about the 340.. but hey that is what beater sleds are for :D

Its really no problem as long as your belt stays dry I'd say go ahead.. no guts no glory, but then again, its your sled... Let us know how it turns out, and make sure one of your buds is there to take pictures for us :D

GOOD LUCK

A

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by skidooki@Oct 3 2002, 08:17 PM
I have a small 1/2 acre pond behind my house which I would like to try and drive my sled across. I have an old beater sled to try first (Ski-Doo 340). Has anyone ever attempted it and what are your comments? :sarcasm:
I hope it's quick. If it is slow you'll submarine it.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I tried watercrossing my friends 1985 indy 400, it got accross.... barely. thats a liquid cooled, so i dont know about a 340. It sure was fun tho, it was in the summer time also.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
I dont know about the 340 either.But personally ......I watercross every chance I get .I've done it on a 98 formula 500, an 02 mxz 700, and my 02 800 Gade. I sank my 500 once cause I had a bad entry and my belt got wet.But I figure once out of about 50 times isn't so bad. :D

SKIDOO=SEADOO :devil:

Attachments

·
Registered
310 Posts
My friend Zack sank his 500xcsp a few times 2 seasons ago. There was water or something touching his lightbulbs, and he was ripping through his field in back of his house at about 100mph, and his lightbulbs blew up! then when he got new bulbs, one night we were racing through the trails, and whenever he hit the brake his headlights would go out. It wasnt too good. He finally got it running right tho. his seat was SOAKED! it wouldnt dry.

·
Premium Member
5,122 Posts
What's your main sled? If it's a Doo, just run it. I wouldn't be too sure about the 340 making it. You don't want a big long run at it. Just start about 50' away. Roll on the gas to about 20-25MPH then just as you are about to hit the water gas it on and be ready for an adrenaline fix you'll love. You'll be addicted. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
448 Posts
Only one way to find out!!!!!!!

As a comparison the old Polaris Indy Lite 340's would go about 150 to 200 feet, in WINTER. Remember your sled won't run the same because of the warm temps.

If you make it, I guarantee you'll turn around & try again, & again, & again, & again..... Eventually everyone goes for a swim!!! Enjoy! :p

·
Registered
448 Posts
LOL!! It's funny how some of us are drawn to water!!!!

Another thing for the guy with the 340 doo, remeber to shut it down before it goes under!

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Yes definately remember to shut it down so it doesnt hydro-lock.Funny how we all want to ride the water.I cant even swim :D :)

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I had a 95 zrt 800 that loved the water, it was much fun to ride the water, then one time i had a bad start in to a river , jumped into from above, splashed the belt. did not make it far. sank it to the seat. I pulled it out got it running an hour later and rode that river.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If that 340 sinks what would I have to do to get all the water out? Drain gas tank and carbs is a given, but what else? Chaincase? Pull off exhaust?
The seat comes off real easy so should I remove it? The lighter the better in the case of using a 340, right? It also has a widening kit on the skis, should I flip it so that the skis are as far inward as possible for better flotation? Thanks for all the comments!!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Yes take the seat off.. once it gets wet you will be retired by the time it dries out.

If (when) you do sink it, get it started asap.. if you let it sit for a few days(hours?), you will start rusting the internals of your engine.. rusty crank=bad.

Here's my take on getting them started again... remove the sparkplugs, tip the sled on its side towards the exhaust and pull the recoil until water stops coming out of the cylinders. tip it on its other side and pull alot more.. are you tired yet?? Drain the carbs, gas and you can even change the oil in the chaincase. Put the plugs back in (have a spare set handy) and pull some more. Hopefully it starts. If not, pull plugs, spray inside cylinder down with WD40, Carb Cleaner, Ether, Gas, whatever. Pull. If it has not started yet, go back to step one.

Good Luck

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
somehow, I have just never gotten up the nerve to try water crossings. Other than the odd small shallow spot, that I knew would only result in a couple of soakers on my feet if I didn't make it.

Then again, I ride a touring sled, which just doens't seem right on the water anyway.

FishHog

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Maybe I'll pack my Scuba gear for that trip, just in case.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts