Snowmobile World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The water pump gasket on my zr 580 is starting to leak i've got the gasket the question is can i do it in the sled or do i have to pull the motor.
The bolts that hold the cover on look like they could be a bear to loosen so any info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks i think that i'll replace it in the sled with a little penetrating spray alot of pateince it should come out also did you put any silcone around the outside of the gasket.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Are you sure that it is the gasket that is bad? I developed a leak last year on my 580. Took it to the deaker and they pressure tested it. Found out that the bottom end motor gasket was bad. A very common problem with the design of the motor. It is a weak point in the design. Often crops up around 5000 miles. Basicly it is time for a rebuild. They were going to have to remove the motor and tear it down and replace the gasket. Might as well do the cyclinders, pistons and rings at that time. Decided to trade the sled instead. Hope yours isn't as serious.

·
Registered
210 Posts
do your self a favor and check under the water pump housing with a mirror and make sure that it's not leak from the weep hole behind the pump housing, if it is take the cover off and pump impeller and replace the mechanicly seal, also check your dealer for any updated parts while your in there...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts