Snowmobile World banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the following email from my brother. Crystal Lake is south of Haliburton.

"On the 4:50 news today on The Wolf , there was a story about some complaints about people snowmobiling on Crystal Lake. The police said there would be zero tolerance for this activity and that charges could be laid under the Motorized Snow Vehicle Act, the Boating Act and the Environment Protection Act.

I can't figure out how 1 item can be deemed both a snowmobile and a boat."

Has anybody had any problems? I have heard some states are clamping down on 'skipping.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Bummer for LadyK,she had plans of skipping the 'gade in a couple weeks.  

I did hear a few fellows where skipping on a Wisconsin lake. The DNR came out and ticketed them for a regristration violation. Funny thing was the ticket was for no registration for watercraft,but yet both sleds had up to date snowmobile registration.
The DNR in Wisconsin people that you don't want to mess with. Take your ticket and say thank you,have a nice day. The more you argue with them,the more they will seach for possible violations.They even set up road blocks on the trails and if you smell like alcohol,you get the breathalizer.

DNR  =  Distric of Natural Resourses

Not to be mistaken as DanR  

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Petey..........you ever smell like alchohol?
?? I highly doubt that...........you are a good boy.......

1/2 a barrel in 6 months............you need to pick it up a bit

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Ummm..........that was 4 months  Trevor  

1/2 barrel = 7 cases of beer
7 cases x 24 = 168 cans
4 months = 120 days
average beer intake per day = 1.4

And I only drink on the weekends LOL

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
By all states laws you need a boating registration to be on the water. I know a guy that built a monster truck that he had to put the boat numbers on & have life jackets on board. But if you register a sled as a boat and have your paper work in the VESSEL you should be untouchable. Paper work meaning registration,proof of insurace,etc.
Caleb

·
Registered
373 Posts
I have heard of wardens writing tickets for driving to endanger, a serious charge, for water skipping here in Maine.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I'm not mistaken, the OPP has ticketed 'skippers in the winter with dangerous operation.  
Their reasoning is that people riding at night will follow the tracks into the water.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Waterskipping is illegal in Minnesota.  Even the officials can't do it.  What I mean is, in my Senior Design lab at the U of MN, one ongoing project taken on by students each semester concerns a snowmobile emergency flotation device that deploys when the sled goes under.  Obviously to test this you gotta waterskip and go down.  To make it all OK, the DNR turned it into a sonar equipment/recovery test and allowed the university to simultaneously test the flotation system.
At least the DNR was cooperative.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Wow, I just found out today Maine passed a law like Minn. making water skipping illegal, I don't know what the penalty is yet, but most fines these days are all over $100.00.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
There was similar such legislation being discussed in MT last summer.  I'm not sure what became of it.  The reasoning was that snowmobiles were never designed to be on the water, and was causing undue risks to riders, and rescue staff, not to mention increasing insurance claims.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
that, along with the main reason, that everything that's fun, has to be illegal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts