Snowmobile World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Theorectical question:

Okay I know that this is something that a lot of guys would wonder, why ask it.  But what kind of options would a person with a new F series sled have to make it lighter.  Yeah I know it's already light and Cat designed them to be light (less parts).  But now that the added weight has been put on them with the break setup changes and added heat exchanger, what are the methods to make them lighter.

(Most the accessories, obviously add weight, for example more wheels on the suspension.)

Maybe mountain riders could give us some tips.

(I'm guessing lighter springs and A-Arms might be one answer, but these are so new that I would have to guess that the A-Arm's thing would not be available for a while, unless there's something that racers have been buying.  I.E. Titanium A-Arms.)

The hood on the F5 I saw at a dealer seemed light, I wonder if they can even make an aftermarket hood that would be lighter, especially since the hood has "forced air induction features" now.  

What do you think?

Greg

·
Registered
84 Posts
Here's a few part that I think you could replace and be lighter than stock.

- Seat
- Skis
- Exhaust can

I'm sure theres more, but these are relatively simple changes.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Strip the chassis down and drill as many holes in the tunnel and front frame then install boss seat! heck why not take seat off, most riders never sit down any how! Next put as much titanium as you can afford. Then just for good measure try to keep the sled in the air as much as possible that way it will really feel light.

A

·
0 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (BGTRK19472 @ Sep. 25, 2002, 11:45am)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Strip the chassis down and drill as many holes in the tunnel and front frame then install boss seat! heck why not take seat off, most riders never sit down any how! Next put as much titanium as you can afford. Then just for good measure try to keep the sled in the air as much as possible that way it will really feel light.[/b][/quote]
HAHA

·
Registered
33 Posts
Black Magic suupposedly makes a pipe/canister set that adds HP and is 15 pounds lighter. Aluminum bodied shocks like the MC would also shave a few pounds.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I like the pipes/canister idea...that's a good one. But, if you stud, there's the weight back again...and I know you're gonna' stud it. I am not sure you're gonna' get much weight off without much labor and fancy parts cost...and I know how you are about any type of work HE HE HE...and don't think I'm gonna' do it for ya...those days are OVER HE HE HE. Your new Cat is still lighter than my Sno Pro. Save your cash for that new trailer you're going to get at the Novi Expo or fixing the one that's presently disolving HE HE HE. Koo Koo for Coa Coa Puffs...

·
Registered
138 Posts
CMX belt drive saves (10-11 lbs.) Boss seat (not sure on weight savings) Fast has an M10 madew for them already (conveintional RS weight saving for Cat was 3.2lbs) Remove the added idler wheels, three sets that can be removed in you run good conditions (2-3 lbs per set) Seen an aftermarket hood at Haydays for MC sleds, I'm sure they could make one for the FC (guessing 10lbs) 5 gallon tank SnoPro Mod tank (no idea how much savings you would see)

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I would be scared to loose anymore parts off the F series sleds. As it is your only getting half the parts you need to make a sled
 I see big durability problems in the future for a 200+ pound rider. I sat on the F7 at the show and it felt like a toy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts