Snowmobile World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Have a question about a stator on a Rotax 500 engine.  My problems a very weak spark, which leads to hard starting.  Everything has been gone through.  I noticed the 3 small coils on the stator that control ignition spark, look slightly overheated.  The beige insulation looks slightly burned from the inside.  Would this be a bad stator even though it still produces spark?  Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Rotax stators are junk!  I went thru 3 on my 99 MachZ.  It probably is your problem, but to be sure, you can take it to your dealer and have it checked.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
My 99 mach1 also blew a stator. I wouldnt call them junk they had a problem from there supplier that year.  I havent heard of any Stator complaints since. Usually when the stator goes there is no spark nothing the machine just dies.

I would have it tested to be sure though. What year is the 500?

·
Registered
660 Posts
Your stator can be checked if you have a multimeter.

I am not sure of what engine you have but stator performance is defenetly measurable. Most service manuals will tell you what resistance you should have.

Not that I am doubting you have a weak spark, but I have had alot of sleds in my shop where the owner complains about bad, weak spark only to find out it was not the case at all.

Some things that ACT like a weak spark are as follows:

Too rich on the oil - this is the biggest contributor to poor spark. People think they are doing the engine good by bumping up the oil pump setting and are coating thier plugs.

Too rich combustion - oil is not burnt enough due to lower combustion temperature and leaves a film on the plugs.

Another Note - the oil pump setting needs to be BELOW the scratch line at idle, once the slides start to move in the carbs thats when you should be level with the scratch line
The problem here is that usually at idle you are running a little rich and if you pump too much oil so at idle you film up your plugs and then it acts like a weak spark at normal throttle settings.

Just something to check before spending $$ on something you don't need.

Just my 2 cents, other people have different opinions on what to set your oil pump to.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts