Snowmobile World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is an article off a Detroit news station website.

Farmers' Almanac Predicts Rough Winter
Book Blew Forecast Last Year
Posted: 12:08 p.m. EDT August 25, 2002
Updated: 1:38 p.m. EDT August 25, 2002

LEWISTON, Maine -- Get ready for a rough winter.

That's what the newest edition of the Farmers' Almanac is recommending. It says folks from Maine to Colorado can expect heavy snow and colder-than-normal temperatures.

Of course, the 186-year-old almanac made similar predictions last winter, which was very mild. Its forecasts are based on a secret model that takes into account sunspot activity, planet position and effects of the moon.

Editors insist the almanac's winter forecast has historically been accurate more than 75 percent of the time. But most meteorologists say the weather can't be predicted so far in advance.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Let's hope they are right, but I don't put any faith in them, or my local weathermen either, but it has to snow somewhere. Hopefully it will be in my backyard this year

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Local weatherman have trouble predicting weather 10min in advance.  

A 75% accuracy is pretty good.  Lets hope there right.

·
Registered
310 Posts
yea i love in portland, maine, which is like 45 mins from lewiston.  so HOPEFULLY THEY ARE RIGHT and the whole state gets a above average snowfall, and colder temps.  well hopefully for the whole country actually.  this is what happened last year in maine, we had barely any snow, we had NO MORE then 6 inches on the ground at one time, and it only happened once, it would snow and melt, but it barely ever snowed, inland would get SOME snow, and we would ALWAYS GET FRIGAIN RAIN.  so then we went to florida in mid-february for vacation, and i KNEW this would happen, it was 50 degrees every day we were down there, except for the last day it was around 80.  everyday up here was almost 50 for christ sakes.  there was barely a temp change from maine to florida!!!  it pissed me off, but what really got me even more mad, is that we had a SMALL snow storm, which unfortuantly was the biggest one of the season, a whopping 5.7inches, but i missed that riding time, because by the time we got back it had melted.  all i can say is we better get WAY more then average snow this winter. and it better STAY!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts