Snowmobile World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to find some scales to see what the weight distribution would be on my left ski compared to the right ski.  Would anybody happen to have this info?  I have been thinking about putting an aftermarket can on my sled.  I then got to thinking if it took 15lbs off the right side would it mess up the handling?  I am assuming the left side is heavier due to the clutches.  I ride an 02 800x.  Thanks.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I doubt if you will save 15lbs by putting on a cannister on the 800 twin.Maybe 6 or 7lbs compared to using the stock muffler.You bring up an interesting point about weight difference from side to side.If there is a big difference you could compensate by setting your front springs at different pressures.

·
Registered
0 Posts
A lot of people put on aftermarket cans mostly for the sound
and weight difference but I don't think I've ever heard any
one actually say that a can messed up there handling.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
You will find that they are heavier on the clutch side. Especially on a twin sled without multiple pipes.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Like 800X said, if you're concerned about it just adjust the preload in each front spring to balance it out.  Just get two identical bathroom scales, put a ski on each one, and adjust the springs until each side weighs the same.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
They had an article in Snowtech a few years ago about this and found the right side to be about 20# heavier in most cases. Reason being the pipe, muffler & gears on that side.
I tried the more tention on the right side thing and found when turning hard to the left it dipped down more and left me with little to no travel so I just put it back even.
If you think about it, your car doesn't lean or steer weird if you are the only person in it, and were talk'in a couple hundred pounds difference! The only way I could see you need to stiffen up one side is if you were going around in circles all the time like on an oval track. IMO

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mike
I actually do change the tire pressure on my vehicles left to right.  I always run about 2 more pounds in the left tires then in the right ones.  I am a big nascar fan and I think that is where I got that from.  By the way "How bad have you got it."

1 - 7 of 7 Posts