Snowmobile World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got my first sled its a 72 merc hurricane 644. i purchased this sled for 90 dollars and is in great shape with only 1300 miles. i may not be able to keep up with anyone here on the forum but its my first sled and i love her:)
here is my questions:
is there any vintage love around here? lol
was 90 a good price? i dont even know what there worth
also it has some weird stuff ive never seen on a sled..its got the port and starboard green and red lights in lil bullet fixtures and it has what the owner stated as ice guides? they look like round cutting disc's mounted to the middle of the ski's
well just wanted to welcome myself and see if i could get some answers thank you
this is some general pictures of the sled from the guy i bought it from

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
theres a little vintage love around here but not much. Id say 90 is a great price for that sled, it looks pretty clean, does it run? Can you take a pic of the red and green lights? Ive never heard of them. And can you get a picture of under the skis, not sure what you mean by cutting disks. Its supposed to have carbides which have triangle pices that act kinda like a cutter, cuts through the snow/ice.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
theres a little vintage love around here but not much. Id say 90 is a great price for that sled, it looks pretty clean, does it run? Can you take a pic of the red and green lights? Ive never heard of them. And can you get a picture of under the skis, not sure what you mean by cutting disks. Its supposed to have carbides which have triangle pices that act kinda like a cutter, cuts through the snow/ice.[/b]

the guy i bought it off of said he had it running 4 years ago..im in the process or replacing the fuel lines. it also needs a new coil the one coil doesnt work. as for the cutter its looks like a pizza cutter mounted to the outside of the ski there factory they slide into a bracket on the ski. as for the markers i will get pix later its at my buddy workshop, if you look in the second picture on the right side of the sled toward the front you can see the silver bullet looking light..but it looks like the lights on the side of a boat..so who knows lol

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Welcome !, I like vintage cause I'm vintage myself LOL. Those Mercs are bullet proof and the one you scored looks to be very clean (just some cosmetics required ). The coil are still available as they are the same unit as the early outboards used. The windshield is a different story, you will need to contact a vintage site that specializes o Mercs. Great Machine... you'll have fun with her !

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome !, I like vintage cause I'm vintage myself LOL. Those Mercs are bullet proof and the one you scored looks to be very clean (just some cosmetics required ). The coil are still available as they are the same unit as the early outboards used. The windshield is a different story, you will need to contact a vintage site that specializes o Mercs. Great Machine... you'll have fun with her ![/b]

thanx for the great info...i may need a new track in the next couple of seasons also how fast can i expect a sled like this to run..i dont expect that fast but sometimes i can be suprised lol btw it the 35 hp model

·
Registered
393 Posts
I love the look of the hood on those old mercs. I would like to find one. I restore old sleds. I've been working on a '71 panther axial flow. I will have pics soon.
You always run into hidden problems on old sleds, don't get discouraged. It will all be worth it in the end.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Cool find! Looks to be in real nice shape, especially for 90 bucks. Those pizza cutters are neat, they used them back in the day for racing to bite into the ice like carbides, but I think they were banned from racing early on.

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
those 644 were ,like doc said good engines. I love the mercs as that is what I grew up ridin'. the lights you speak of. back in the day some states made you have the sled lit like a boat if on the ice fishing. yep the ice cutters, seen them on dads twister race sled. they were banned but I could not tell you when. they started using files welded to the wear bars soon after. which followed by the more modern carbide we have now. deside to sell it you know where to find me. that hurricane and an sr 440 would be a nice addition to the family. http://www.vintagetwister.com

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
those 644 were ,like doc said good engines. I love the mercs as that is what I grew up ridin'. the lights you speak of. back in the day some states made you have the sled lit like a boat if on the ice fishing. yep the ice cutters, seen them on dads twister race sled. they were banned but I could not tell you when. they started using files welded to the wear bars soon after. which followed by the more modern carbide we have now. deside to sell it you know where to find me. that hurricane and an sr 440 would be a nice addition to the family. http://www.vintagetwister.com[/b]

thanx for all the great replies..i do have a question though..whats the mixture ratio of the fuel:eek:il and is there a special 2 cycle oil i need? and if you were to buy this sled what would be a fair market value as i honestly didn't realize there was such a market?

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
According to my recollection, now Dooman's might be better but the owner's manual recommended Mercury Quicksilver oil at 25 : 1. I guess you could go thinner with the better oil blends today and save the mosquito population.

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
According to my recollection, now Dooman's might be better but the owner's manual recommended Mercury Quicksilver oil at 25 : 1. I guess you could go thinner with the better oil blends today and save the mosquito population.[/b]
doc is right they did recommend a heavy oil mix. we ran between 32-40:1. but if I do remember they had it listed with differant levels of usage and the 25:1 was the richest ("severe"). I know the leanest I ever ran in the 640 I had was 40:1, never had a problem. that was with the poor oils of the 70's-early 80's. now the sr 440 I mixed it 50:1 without issues. dad did not like it that lean. come to think of it the 640 was the first electric start reverse sled I had or seen. the sr was a slide rail sled with steel "grouser bars" on the track, as they were called in the merc manual. I will say this for value, I have said it many times before " it's only worth what someone is willing to pay". my father sold his race twister (sno pro) a few (4-5) years back for $1,500.

·
Registered
38 Posts
That sled is one of my all time favorites for cosmetic, but not necessarily mechanical, design.
A friend of mine had one when I was in high school. Mr. Kiekhaeffer (the founder of Mercury motors)had given it to his dad as a gift as expression of his gratitude for an excellent job on some orthopedic surgery. I think it was about a 1971 model.

My friend was not that much into snowmobiling, so I ended up riding it about as much
as he did. Someone had to appreciate it! It was a rocket compared to my 67 Evinrude!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
best 90 dollars well spent...after it has sit for 4 years or more last time it was fired was 4 years ago for 3 minutes. but replaces all the fuel lines this weekend tonight i finished up..got the coil fixed..it was a bad connection. 2nd pull it puttered 4th pull she fired right up just like it did fron the factory and she sounded so good..im so thrilled and happy...i gave her life..the bad thing is the fuel line from the carb to the motor that has the crimped ends..is leaking...so off tomarow to a place i hope can help me if not i need to figure out a way to get it fixed lol..oh yeah by the way the port and starboard(green and red) lights work and look so cool..yippie lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts