Snowmobile World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rear of my machine broke through some thin ice this spring and the foam cushion in my seat was totally soaked!
I removed the cover and squished out as much as I could (not very much)  I've had it air-drying since, but it's still really wet.  Any tips???

·
Registered
533 Posts
Seats take a long time to dry, like all summer.

BOSS seats are better, they don't hold as much mosture and dry faster.  Plus they are lighter.

newf

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
did you try putting a piece of plywood over the foam and then driving over it? That would get lots of water out I think

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Just remove the seat from the sled and hang it on a wall, with the trunk sticking down. Aim a fan right at the trunk so it moves some air thru the seat.

Rocketman's idea is a good one, you could probably set it on the ground and push on it hard to get allot of water out if it is soaked.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
When I sank my ride 2 seasons ago we took the seat off every night(cause we were still riding) stood it on end in front of the wood stove in the basement. Water came out of the seat for a couple of weeks but by the end of summer it should dry out.Especially if you dont have to put it on and off. The seat ended up being fine not hard or anything and my sled was under 12- 15 ft of water.
Hope this helps. Good Luck

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here's what I did for a friend. Take off seat and cover, Lay on ground and cover with plywood and park a semi. on it, You will not belive the amount of water you get out. He let it hang all summer before I did this and I still got out 6 or 7 gal.'s of water.

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
anyone i know with a wet seat dried them all summer and claimed it took that long to air dry. the reason for the air drying was because the foam will break down and crust up from force drying.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I actually drive a ready-mix concrete truck for a living, I think I'll try squishing it with some plywood and then just let it dry for the summer.  Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
530 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (paul yarek @ April 23, 2002, 7:16pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">anyone i know with a wet seat dried them all summer and claimed it took that long to air dry. the reason for the air drying was because the foam will break down and crust up from force drying.[/b][/quote]
He's right.  I would just try air drying it over the summer.  tHen by the time winter rolls around you should be dry.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Try to get as much water out as quickly as possible then air dry. I would think a large truck might be a bit extreme however. I had to dry a seat this winter and I hung it a squeezed the lower part as the water settled there for the first couple of days. Then I propped it over a garbage can so air could get at it from all sides and placed it in front of the Monitor (kerosine forced air heater). By placing the lowest and wettest part in the heat, the water was removed fairly quickly. I would not subject the foam to more heat than you can hold your hand in continuously and, maybe most importantly, don't expose the foam to sunlight. That, more than anything, will cause it to get "crusty" as a result of the UV.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
If not get the Boss Seat. It's alot lighter than stock,better looking,and a nice frm ride compared to stock. And it doesn't hold water.
Caleb

·
Registered
756 Posts
Removal of the cover is the way to get them truly dry. Unfasten cover from base hang by the end, it will dry in a week.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
when i sank my sled i took the skin off and brought the foam to work,i hung it up on the exhaust from an oil cooler on a compressor(exhaust runs at 180-200 f)it dried in one day

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I heard a really good way to dry one out. Get a good heavy plastic bag (better than a garbage bag) and put you seat in it. Then using a good shop vac, rubber band the bag aroud the hose, take the filter out of the shop vac, and flip er on.

I have been told in just a couple of hours it will dry very good. Never tried it, but friend that runs the service dept. at Secord Lake Marina told me this works quite well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts