Snowmobile World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 2003 accessory brochure from the dealer yesterday and noticed the pricing on both Electric start ($479.00) and reverse ($599.00) and couldn''t help but think of what a deal my RX-1 ER turned out to be for $7,900.00. Not to mention the new technology and the fact that it has a 4 stroke that has to be considerably more expensive than the 2-strokers.

What other sled out there can you buy with electric start and reverse with around 150 HP for $7,900.00?

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Not to blow the wind out of your sails Mighty, but I can think of 2 good reasons for what appears to be a pretty reasonable price on the RX.

First, the chassis would leave a little to be desired compared to other machines in the same price range... Personally that's a big deal to me, but that may be just me.

Second, even though I look forward to the 4 stroke technology, it is new. That's going to cause some people, myself included, to take a wait and see attitude. My bet is Yamaha is trying to minimize this with attractive pricing. They need to get some machines out to try and recover some development costs.

As far as the electric start and reverse, they shouldn't cost any more because it's a 4 stroke.

Good luck with the new machine. I AM envious.
AL

·
Registered
403 Posts
Every option costs more-be it a 2 stroke sled, 4 stroke sled, car, truck, whatever.

I have a feeling that the sled will be awesome after one year of customer testing and evaluations and warranty issues.

Yamaha wouldn't have axed the srx if it wasn't...that was their best sled in their lineup.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Hey mighty,
   I agree with michahicks, I also have a wait and see attitude. As far as the chassis comment though, I disagree. I think its a work of art. They used cast alluminum for many of the important parts and everything is put together smoothly. I hope michahicks isn't a ski-doo rider. Have you seen the REV chassis? It looks like they took a bunch of sheets of aluminum, bent them into the right shape and tacked them all together. At least Yamaha casts the sub-frame. Thats gotta be a lot stronger than a bunch of bent sheets of metal.
    I think the reason why cost is down is because Yamaha has already been building this motor for the bikes so its nothing for them to make a few changes and drop it into a sled. This is also the reason why I have faith in the RX-1. Many people think they dropped the SRX because they couldn't afford to make both but I don't think thats the case at all. The SRX and the Viper are similar motors from the engineers perspective, because of this it wouldn't cost much at all and probably wouldn't result in much of a loss when you consider how many SRX's they would still sell. I think they dropped the SRX because they know this is a better machine. I am sure you will be happy with it.

·
Registered
858 Posts
99srx700 </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Thats gotta be a lot stronger than a bunch of bent sheets of metal.
[/b][/quote]

Did you read the info about the REV, 600% stronger chassis than zx, and after trying it, i'm sure it's accurate. It doesn't matter what material you use or it's strengh, it's the engineering behind it that makes a product stand out.

Mighty RX-1~ that is a really good price, it even made me think of jumping ship for a very brief moment.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Electric start as an "option" on the RX-1 is the same thing as saying that your 8cyl car has electric start as an option

The REV's form follows function... its made tough and made to perform.  No "pretty it up bulkware" on that machine... however, I doo think it looks hot anyway.

Now the price on the REV... well... that could come down a bit.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
My comment regarding the Rx chassis was made because, in my opinion, they could have taken this chance to bring the new machine out in a chassis with a longer travel suspension. I don't believe they are devoting enough attention (money?)in this area. I have no problems with their materials or workmanship. I just like a sled with a little more suspension travel, and I'm of the belief that I'm not the only one thinking along these lines. To reinforce my position, I'm wondering how many Yamaha's have been seen on tracks this past season compared to the others?

Maybe that's not fair. I'm not planning on running a machine I own on a track. But what I do know, in my experience, more travel is better when it comes to rough trails and an all day ride. Maybe I am wrong here, I haven't ridden any of the newer Yamaha stuff. Just don't know how it could hold it's own against others, like I mentioned earlier, with so much less travel.

I have nothing against Yamaha, and what I ride now has nothing to do with the RX-1. I'm just registering as disappointed. So close, yet so far...
AL

·
Registered
300 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (AC @ April 04, 2002, 2:54pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Did you read the info about the REV, 600% stronger chassis than zx, and after trying it, i'm sure it's accurate.[/b][/quote]
I really want to know what 600% stronger means.  I want an exact answer as to what they are making the comparison to.  I've seen companies claim 40-60%, but 600%, c'mon.  What test was that!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
858 Posts
I'm 230 pounds and pounded the REV as much as I could and the chassis never budged. Usually, when I jump on the side of any snowmobile, the footrest bend quite a bit exept for the REV so if I can't bend anything, even if I try it's good enough for me.
A bombardier sales manager which is responsible for all dealerships in Canada told me it was 600% overall stronger then ZX chassis.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I hope it's stronger.  I was up in Munising MI with a bunch of guys.  I was on My 99 machZ and they were on 2002 MXZ800x's.  We were flying down this really long straight away and my self and one of the MXZ's hammered it.  Right in the middle of the trail was the biggest mogul I have ever come across and hit it at around 100mph.  It was actually a crater.  It shot me and my buddy straight up it the air and both sleds came down on their tails.  On my CK-3 the rubber grommets gave way and my windshield popped off and my snow flap was pushed in a couple of inches.  The MXZ wasn't as lucky, his tunnel was buckled.  So much for a lighter sled.  We both landed the exact same way, but his was damaged and mine wasn't, go figure.

·
Registered
0 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (EGXCR @ April 04, 2002, 4:34pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (AC @ April 04, 2002, 2:54pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">  [/b][/quote]
I really want to know what 600% stronger means.  I want an exact answer as to what they are making the comparison to.  I've seen companies claim 40-60%, but 600%, c'mon.  What test was that!!!!!!!!!!!![/b][/quote]
FEA - Finite Element Analysis.
Or some sort of solver or part stress software.

Since they engineer'd (sp?) the REV on the puter, they now
can take the parts and subject them to the same stress or
loads that they would see in the "real world" to make a
better part from the start!  

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Mighty, I know that same crater.  We were lucky, someone at the Bears Den (I think that's the name) told us about it, so we watched out for it.  Can't believe they didn't have a barrel in front of that thing...so irresponsible of the groomers there.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yea right z800, you have never opened up your 800 on a long straighaway before. Get off your self rightous soap box.

·
Registered
259 Posts
As far as the 600 percent stiffer comment goes...that is referring to the ZX chassis. I am sure I will get lots of &*%$ about this one but lets get real folks, it may have been a good chassis but it was far from stiff. Anyone who knows basic physics can take one look at that chassis and say that it isn't going to have half of the torsional rigidity of the competition. Speaking of the FEA ski-doo didn't start using computers to design their chassis until somewhere around 99. I know Yamaha has been using computer analysis for much longer than that...I am not sure about everyone else but I know ski-doo was one of the last to jump on the band wagon. As far as the REV goes I think structurally a good chassis and I believe that it is going to perform well, I am just not at all impressed with the way they put it together. I am just saying that cast parts are going to be much better than sheet metal. But like I said I am sure it will perform fine so what does it matter. Either way the concept is excellent and is going to take the machine a long way and thats all that matters.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Perhaps you mat be a little right on that one mighty rx.I wasn't there so i have no idea of the trail or the surroundings.
Not saying it's you but i'm gettin tired of almost getting
crashed into on the trails by people ridin like idiots.I had a friend hit a hole in the trail at a high speed and after his collision with the tree i've changed my views on trail speed.He lived but not without some injuries,but you are right if i'm on a stretch of rail line that i can see a few miles ahead i will open her up for a bit.I just try and play speed warrior on the lakes now where it should be done.If i have offended you i apologize
and i'm to fat to stand on a sop box anyways

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
The rev is %600 stiffer.  They used hydroformed aluminum framemembers according to the bombardier rep that came into my dealer and right there you gain a lot of stiffness.  They sleds frame also doesnt stop there.  The style of frame is diffrent it has a pyramidal style frame.  That means that the top and bottom are stiffining the frame unlike the usaual bottom only.  Also the front suspention is attached to the pyramidal part of the chassie so suspention absorbtion is channaled into the whole frame not just the side that took the bump.  

Its like when dodge went to hydroforming.  Arnt they claiming 500% or 600% stiffer then the old dodge ram.  

Have you guys seen the 2003 ride video from skidoo.  Just look how the rev handles the mogles and jumps.  Even how it turns.  Its awsome just awsome.  The rider looks like he doesnt even know hes hitting stuff yet the machine is hitting 3 foot mogles.  

By the way.  They guy that talks about the Mach Z near the end of the video is from toronto and he also goes to my dealer.  The lucky guy accually got to go on the ultimate ride.  I wish i was on the video talking about the Mach.  

As for Mighty RX-1.  I have done a few of those over the years.  Also lost the windshild once this year.  Stupid gromits.  But the Mach is built like a tank.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not a problem z800.  I'm with you, I hate coming around a corner or going thru a narrow trail and along comes speed racer.  I'm like you, If I can see that it's straight for a long ways and there isn't any traffic I may light it up but only under those conditions.  The crater I was talking about was right in the middle of a long wide trail completely in the middle of no where.  We figured the wierd weather somehow caused that condition.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts