Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 95 XLT Special. (xtra-12 susp. & rev.) Runs great but 5300 mi. What parts historically break on those? I'd like to trouble shoot in the garage where its warm - thanks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
With 5000+ miles the clutches need to be serviced if not done already. The buttons on the secondary will need replacing. Also check the rollers and weights in the primary. Also not a bad idea to change both springs. As far as the suspension make sure it goes up and down freely. I personally would remove and inspect. Look for cracks. Also all the idler bearings should be replaced. These would be the first place I would start. Of course there is alot of other things that need checking. I almost forgot, remove chaincase cover and inspect.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Polaris was famous for slide rails cracking around the holes where the wheeles go mounted i had two that cracked off ears on the rails and i know of a ton of guys who had them crack off, so check that.

·
Registered
34 Posts
not to scare you...but xlt's are natorious for crank failure...i know bout 5 guys with new motors in their sled 1500 $ later

·
Registered
791 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (skifreak454 @ Jan. 14 2002, 3:45pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">not to scare you...but xlt's are natorious for crank failure...i know bout 5 guys with new motors in their sled 1500 $ later[/b][/quote]
Thats only in the sleds with the 38mm carbs your 95 special had 34mm carbs don't need to be scared just feed it lots of oil.  Check the sliders xtra-12 slides wear of quick I would recommend hiperfax slides for a boost in speed and fuel economy thay will pay for themselves.  there worth about $159.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I WOULD CHECK THE JACKSHAFT BEARINGS & CHECK CRANK SHAFT SEALS.  TO CHECK THOSE CRANK SHAFT SEALS>HAVE THE SLED RUNNING & SPRAY SOME STARTING FLUID OR GUMOUT DOWN BY THE SEALS!  IF THOSE SEALS LEAK AT ALL, REPLACE THEM SO YOU WON'T HAVE CRANK FAILURE!!!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had one. The sled ran great however it is a tank. No top end. It needs a clutch kit to make it respectable. Mine would hardly spin the track from a dead punch. You can also move the front limiter strap up a hole from stock to gain some top end. This will give you more ski pressure but should not be an issue. I still love the looks of that sled!! It's a classic. You’ll love the efficiency of the Fuji. My XC 700 gets half the mileage.

·
Registered
149 Posts
my cousin has one of those... just to let you know, KEEP THE DRIVE AXLE GREASED!!   the zerk just below the 2ndary clutch ...my cousin didnt keep up with his and it let loose and blew out his chaincase and wore a nice hole in it.  
Also on that year xlt dont get the track super tight...theyre famous for hyfax wear, especially when track is too tight.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts