Snowmobile World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my first engine rebuild and reinstall is complete. Now I'm considering how to break this baby in properly. I've been reading several posts about this but still don't have a clear "commonly agreed upon" method. Obviously I will let it warm up to normal operating temp as I do all season, and I will run a 50:1 mix in the tank, but once the engine is warm should I giver her a few shots on the stand upto maybe 5000rpm or is it better to have someload on it (ie a rider in a feild)? Is it possible to perform a decent warm up on a stand alone....I wonder this one so I can also keep a close eye on plugs and piston wash. Is it better to do a long break in period (ie drive all day) or do several short rides? Can "babying" it too long be detrimental to the break in period? What if I just sat it on the stand let it idle then rev it then idle for a while then rev it etc. working it up to higher rpms? what do you guys think?

Attachments

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
I don't even mix the fuel. but a load helps rings seat. I prefer several heat cycles with a short cooling period between them. I would say a stand would be ok using the brake to get a load on it. after a few cycles through the heat I would pin it. there are so many ways and opinions. I don't think babying it can be, being a 2 stroke. if it had oil in it you would want to vary the rpms to get the oil over everything. keeping the rpms up on 4 strokes to help cam lobe from rounding off. cast iron liners in a cylinder will get harder over heating and cooling cycles.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts