Snowmobile World banner

What Are The Fastest Sleds Ever Made?

31K views 36 replies 25 participants last post by  Gemswecollect 
#1 ·
I am sure the Thundercat is one....but what else is a fast sled.

I have a v-max 4, and now want something faster.

Please tell me what years to keep an eye out for also.

Thanks.

#3 ·
I am sure the Thundercat is one....but what else is a fast sled.

I have a v-max 4, and now want something faster.

Please tell me what years to keep an eye out for also.

Thanks.[/b]
You're going to have a hard time finding something faster than a V-max 4 :whistling: I sold mine a year ago and am still wishing I had it :blush: Never ran across a faster Thundercat alway wanted one though :wink:

Attachments

#4 ·
T-Cat
Mach-Z
SRX 700(NOT SXR)
V-Max4
(Sorry Polaris, Muscle was never really your game)
They were all capable of whiping the other on any given sunday.
I don't really think any new sled can touch them to this day. Then again I am biased when it comes to the sweeeeeet, sweeeeet smell and sound of a Triple, Triple!!!

#12 ·
T-Cat 1300 (Limited Production Sled) 115 mph stock.
T-Cat 1000 108-110 mph stock
V-Max 4 800 105 mph stock

I would have to say though, that the V-Max 4 is the easiest sled to get ridiculous power from. Getting 180 hp out of a V-Max4 800 isn't that difficult. I guess that's one of the pro's of a 4 cylinder 2 stroke.
I took a 2007 Arctic Cat F1000 2 stroke for a rip this winter. Blew the doors off an F7 like it was standing still. That F1000 was tuned and chipped and would do 108 mph on radar. So your VMax4 should even run well against the new big iron. Apparently the F1000 will take the T-Cat 1000 on the low end, but the T-Cat would creep away on the top end.

That was the only problem with the Yammies......the suspension was/is always a full generation behind the competition, therefore, they tend not to hook up as well off the line as another companies sled of the same year.

#13 ·
I am not sure about the other brands but as far as skidoo goes I can personally attest that the 97 mach1 and Z were the fastest triples right out of the crate.

Perm

#17 ·
Jeff,
looks to me like there are quite a few fastest sleds,,,,,,,, how can that be? confused.gif[/b]
Paul, as I mentioned I can't speak of other brands, but after owning many triples, I can say that IMHO<<lol...that the 97 machs were the fastest year for machs<<out of the crate. Once they shortened the belt length for the CK3's. IT seemed to make a difference..not sure why, but that top end snap was gone.

Perm

#18 ·
I just watched an episode of "Pinks". They raced a 1996 V-max 4 800cc against a 2006 1000cc yamaha and without the nitrous, the v-max would have beaten the 1000cc every time... as it was the 1000cc 4-stroke could only beat the v-max 4 800 by less than 2 sled lengths WITH NITROUS. So... that gives you an idea on how impressive the V-max 4 is, completely stock save the exhaust, vs the new yamaha 4-stroke. :)

#19 ·
were they not 433's? or was that the 74's?[/b]
You're right Paul, the free airs were GPX 433's both 1974 and 1975. They were quick.
There was a GP 440 and an EX 440 both fans and a liquid cooled SRX 440 in 1976,

#24 ·
a bit of a yamaha guy here from way back when marshall dillon and festus used to ride with me.[/b]
That Festus is just a new guy, I really miss Chester :whistling:

#25 ·
so with all things being stock...I should be one of the fastest out there?[/b]
In terms of power to weight ratio, pretty much. If you haven't done any clutch tuning you might be able to gain some speed and/or acceleration just by getting everything dialed. That thing is probably super fast even with all the clutch springs worn out, but it will gain new life if it needs a tune-up and you give it what it needs. Maybe you've already refreshed everything but I'm just saying a sled that age might need a little tinkering on the clutches for max performance. Make sure you're hitting the proper shift RPM and such. I would actually look at the markings on the shift weights (find the part number and the rivets installed) as well to make sure they're correct. I say this because every used sled I've owned (5 now) have had the clutches set up either wrong or way way wrong, and always the wrong primary shift weights installed. Sometimes a funky setup will work okay and you'll have basically the right RPM range, but I've found that when I set it up to spec the machine is just more responsive and powerful. Re-tuning these sleds to go by the manufacturer charts has always improved the performance for me. Good luck, I can barely handle my piped 700 RMK, in fact my arms are killing me right now from getting yanked by the acceleration over and over this week. If you have stock pipes go by the Yamaha clutching chart, but if your pipes are aftermarket you need to get your clutching specs from the pipe maker.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.