Snowmobile World banner

What Are The Fastest Sleds Ever Made?

31K views 36 replies 25 participants last post by  Gemswecollect 
#1 ·
I am sure the Thundercat is one....but what else is a fast sled.

I have a v-max 4, and now want something faster.

Please tell me what years to keep an eye out for also.

Thanks.

#29 ·
I say the old 650 Indys 89 90 91 stock they just kept gaining speed there was no end. And they did not blow up.[/b]
:lmao:

Indy 650 and reliable LOL

Indy 650 is by far the best sounding sled ever though

#30 ·
I have had a few dozen very fast sleds since 69,,all are differnt in there own way.

Merc Sno Twister was fastest oval sled in its day
Yamaha SRXs were also very fast
Ski-Doo Mach Tons were fast
New yamaha 4 cyl 4 strokes are Very fast.
BUT

the Polaris Indy 650 Triples with pipes will whoop them all on a lake,not in deep snow.
I have ridden both in last few weeks
2008 yamaha 4 stroke 162 in 2 in track goes 85 mph flat,but great in deep snow

My old 1988 Indy 650 goes well over 100 on packed trail,,not worth a crap in deep snow,
2 different machines.
The new machines are NOT WORTH the prices dealers want..

waiting to find a 03 or 04 yamaha RX-1 should be great trail machine,too heavy for deep snow.but who can afford top go to Mountians anyway?

thanks for listening

PS looking for set of triple pipes for my Indy 650

#37 ·
I have to agree but disagree with this statement.I had a 340 Arctic Cat Jag 1975 Kawasaki engine that clocked out at 93.8 mph and could pull off more if below -40 degrees.Mine could smoke the 440 eltigre like he was standing still.I sold it because of skis shocks kept freezing and couldn't steer.Even with two people on that Jag didn't make a difference

#33 ·
I had a formula plus efi 583 that was an anniversary edition fuel injected model. There was not a lot of them made but this sled was surprisingly fast. I think it was either a 91 or 93. The fuel injection made the difference. It started to become unreliable and nobody (Doo Dealers) would work on it. It would keep up with stock Mach sleds of the same era.
I still have only seen one or two of these sleds around.

#35 ·
Had 1-2-3&4 cyl over the years-Heres photo of my 2cyl ZR600, 3cyl ZRT800 and 4cyl VMAX750 and I've also owned some Polaris over the years and for what its worth(about a 1/2 cent) I'd say the old polaris indy 650's(89) were screamers for there year - T-Cats we all know about - With work the 4cyl VMAX had long legs and I dont know to much about Skidoo but Ive raced some fast ones. ---My vote is MR. T-CAT

#36 ·
factory fresh out of the box and fure pure top end mph honors its either a machz or tcat depending on which one felt the friskiest that day. The T-cat is the world record holder for fastest production sled ever made, so there the t-cat is the only one documented as the fastest.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.