Snowmobile World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sorry guys heh i dont have alolt of cash, cause im still in college and pay for it myself heh. so im used to old sleds, i never saw those before  

my beater is a 1978 kawasaki 440, i cant get it to run right so i just bought a newer  1991 formula mach 1 for 900$ at an auction. not new to you guys but real nice compared to my old 1978  

Zagg

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Check out the Tech Articles Link on the main page, for RAVE maintenance.  It will show you how to clean them to ensure their working to the best potential.

FishHog

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks fishhog, good article.

Thing is my ski doo, has a bad takeoff, im pretty sure everything is stock but i bought it used.
Its a 91 formula mach 1, has a 617 in it.

it just seems to bog on the take off, my friend with his 86 yamaha 440 ss , totally kills me on take offs. Should he?

after i hit about 25mph, then its like my sled has nitrous!! i pass him like hes not moving.

i would like to fix the slow takoff problem but this rave article says if im bogging after 6000rpm, so its prob not my RAVE's dirty.  

Zagg

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I could be that your raves are stuck open.  But usally there stuck closed.  A very easy way to check is to pull the black cover.  

1. Undo the clip or unscrew the screws holding the cap on.  

2. Then slowly pull it of and WATCH OUT FOR THE LITTLE SPRING. You must pull it of slow to relive the spring tention.  

3. once that is of there is round thing about 2 inch in diamiter with a spring going around it or a cable tie.  Pust pull it in and out and if they move your raves are working.  It should move very easily.  Then just put the spring back and close her up.  

Its very very simple you can do it on the trail and you dont need any tools.

If it is not the raves then its probably the carbs.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
is carb cleaner good to use to clean the faces of my clutch?

my belt broke =), so im going to put on a new one today. heading out to work on it right now

i actually live an hour away from my sled so i only get to work on it on weekends, and im headed that way right now =).

Zagg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts