Snowmobile World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems to me like once they get all of the bugs worked out this could be a very reliable machine and will run for a rediculous amount of miles compared to machines of the past.
If this is the case what are they thinking? I heard the first major service is sheduled at 27,000 miles. Anyone who picks one of these up isn't going to be looking for another sled for a very long time. It kind of makes you wonder where the snowmobile industry is headed if this is a preview of the future. How will this effect sales and what would it do to the resale value of sleds in the future? Granted the rest of the machine won't last like the motor (track, clutchesjackshaft bearings, etc.) but it still seems a little too much too soon.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Thats my feeling as well.  The manufactors are all going crazy this year.  And yamaha just droped a A-bomb.  I hope this doesnt backfire and ruin the sport.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Maybe they should make a retractable motor, just unbolt from sled frame and bolt in ATV. It would make the engine life equal to chassis life  

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
ac,
what a great idea, the worst thing for a four stroke engine is sitting without use so if it would bolt in your four wheeler then it would be more reliable.

·
Registered
392 Posts
When is the last time you bought a new car and drove it until the junk yard took it away?  Nobody keeps a car from crib to coffin, and I don't imagine sleds will be much different.  Most of the sleds out here are pretty new, and not terribly high in miles.  People buy new sleds because they want a new sled, not just because their old one is falling apart.  Plus, 4-stroke technology is still in its infancy.  As the motors get better, and as the suspension technology increases, there will always be a reason to buy a new sled.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Stuff still wears out, get scratched up, crashed up (especially the big boys toys&#33
 and at $9k, not alot of people gonna be buying whn the bill comes for the balance this fall!!!

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
I wonder how many people who bought RX-1's when they first came out are still on them. I'd guess the Apex convinced most of then to trade, even if there was miles left on the RX's motor.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
A co-worker just picked up his '08 Apex. He traded his '06 Apex on it. His previous sled was a 1st year RX-1.

I think @ 1st the longevity of the motor was 1 thing Yamaha talked about, but after a few years, wouldn't a person get tired of the styling(unless they were blind)?

Aren't the only people who keep a car from cradle to grave, some Volvo & M-B owners?

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
A co-worker just picked up his '08 Apex. He traded his '06 Apex on it. His previous sled was a 1st year RX-1.

I think @ 1st the longevity of the motor was 1 thing Yamaha talked about, but after a few years, wouldn't a person get tired of the styling(unless they were blind)?

Aren't the only people who keep a car from cradle to grave, some Volvo & M-B owners?[/b]
I drive a 98 Intrepid - just about to crack 100K miles on it and just bought a brand new set of tires (good ones) for it. I plan on getting at least 150K out of it. I finished making payments on it almost 5 years ago.

Previous vehicle was a 89 S-10 - drove it to the junkyard in a cloud of smoke and steam with 135K on it. My wife picked that one up before I knew her with only 18K on it - doesn't quite qualify as cradle to grave I suppose. :)

Its one of the reasons I have cash to pay for a new sled - you have to get your priorities right! :thumbsup:

Besides - I HATE new car smell. I don't know about new sled smell - never had one before. Should find out in a week or two though! :cool:

As far as the 4-stoke yammis - I remember when they first came out a sales rep told me (with a straight face no less) that they could get to 100K miles no problems. I would love to see what the chassis looks like after that! :lmao:

dave

·
Registered
119 Posts

Aren't the only people who keep a car from cradle to grave, some Volvo & M-B owners?[/b]
Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to have a new yammi. Problem is I don't think I've got enough use(or should I say abuse) out if this thing yet to justify replacing it. It's been the most trouble free sled I've ever owned and is still like new. Sure, from time to time I get sick of it. Couple years ago I put nitrous on it and suddenly it had that "new car smell" again. However, that "newness" went away and now Ulmer racing has installed a turbo in hopes that will rekindle things. I should try this with my wife....new boobs maybe? Besides, when I get sick of this thing, I just jump on my snopro and all is well. As far as owning something cradle to grave, This won't be one of them. Just wish I had when it came to a couple old camaros and chevelles I used to have!!...Like dlaine said, you have to get your priorities straight. After too many crappy winters, mine has changed to race boats. Maybe mother nature will change that around someday.

Attachments

·
Registered
644 Posts
Any machine will nickle, dime, and C-note you at some point, the engine still running well or not. I have less than $100 invested in parts on my Polaris two-stroke motor with 21,000 some miles on it. I have put quite a few dollars in other things though: new seat cover $150, new track $600, RR ends $100, shocks (all x 2 or 3)$1200?, windshields x 3? $250, clutches x 2 $600, miscellaneous: $700; oil $2000+, gasoline, $8000+.

If I could replace it with the same machine I would - have long ago. One of the problems I see, more than making a good longlasting rig, is that they always need to make something different. I don't need to change my woman every few years "just to keep up," neither do I need to change "my horse."

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I wonder how many people who bought RX-1's when they first came out are still on them. I'd guess the Apex convinced most of then to trade, even if there was miles left on the RX's motor.[/b]

My friend bought one when they first came out in 03. Granted he put in a M10 after the first year because Yammi can't make a suspension to save their life. But it has and still is a GREAT sled. I almost made the switch this year because of that sled. He has over 10,000 miles on it. He had to warrenty a secondary clutch. That's it. Everything else is original. besides belts and stuff. But it's been great. He's riding it again this year. He says he may just keep it for a while. I rode it last year, and it's still tight as ever. Oh, he did replace front A-arm bushings.

Oh, My mom bought a 94 Saturn, new, now I'm driving it as my comuter car. It's got 154,000 miles on it. I'm driving it till it dies back and forth to work 100 miles round trip.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I don't think it would/will hurt a thing. Remember when 100,000 miles on a car was considered a "big deal"? As some have pointed out, now they routinely go much more. Has that hurt sales?

That's right. It hasn't, but look at what they use to compete now. Yep, other quality features. I think longlasting machines would actually be a good thing for the sport and the industry. Perhaps it might even attract more folks who don't have the time or the inclination to put on a lot of miles, but don't want to invest good money in a "toy" which loses value so fast. The more advocates we have - even if they aren't ardent fans - the better it is for all of us.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts