Snowmobile World banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son is 8years old & I want to pick up a sled for him for next year. How long can he ride the mini sleds? I've been told to buy an older 340, put in something to stop the throttle, & let him grow into it.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
645 Posts
My 7 year old got bored with his Mini-Z (14 mph), but he's used to MX race bikes that do 45+ mph.

I think an 8 year-old would have fun for awhile, but may outgrow a 120 sooner than you'd like.

Too bad there are not some modern mid-sized sleds available now.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
When my son was 7or8 we got him an old citation one lunger with elec. start. if you can find one of these there good. What i liked most was that they are quite tippy. this helps in developing riding skills. 1987 0r 88 cant remember.

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
my son started out on a 1974 yamaha gp246 when he was about 7 years old, i never blocked the throttle. i see that the problem with people they put their children on a sled that is way beyond the capability of the child and next thing you know bang crash.

my son is 16 now and has ridden his 2000 mxz 440f for two seasons and i can see it is time for something else.

·
Registered
799 Posts
My kids started on the Yamaha 340 Enticer. I did block the throttle at first until they got used to it. They were 8 and 10 at the time. I've upgraded my daughter for her third season on the trails, but my son (now 12) will put in a season or two on the trails on the Enticer before he gets upgraded.

That Enticer is a really good learning sled; I rode it once last winter, gave me a whole new appreciation for my daughter's riding skills! :0:

·
Registered
453 Posts
ARE BOY TURNS 9 MARCH 31ST AND I'AM HOPING THIS SUMMER TO FIND A GOOD DEAL ON A 340.I HAVE SOME FRIENDS WITH 89 YAMAHA OVATIONS AND THAT SEEMS TO BE A REAL GOOD STARTER SLED.ELECTRIC START WOULD BE NICE ALSO.DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THE SMALL STUFF 120'S THESE KIDS KNOW A DAYS WOULD GROW OUT OF A 120 BY THE TIME THEY ARE 18 MONTHS! :p YOU CAN PUT A THROTTLE GUARD ON ANYTHING.AND I'AM NOT SURE WHO BROUGHT THIS UP BUT TO GET A TIPPY SLED FOR A YOUNGSTER IS AN EXCELLENT IDEA SO HE CAN LEARN HOW TO LEAN AND REALLY LEARN TO RIDE WITH PROPER TECHNIQUES.SLALOM COURSES ON THE FRONT YARD IS ALWAYS A GOOD IDEA!!!JUST MY .02 SWRules SWRules ANYTHING WILL MAKE THE KID HAPPY THOUGH!!

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I was about 8 when dad brought home a beautiful 77 Ski-Doo 340 Olyimpic!!!!!!!! Oh man did I run that thing. I fell off so much hitting the dirt piles left in the fields from sugar beats. Had it till I was twelve. Alot of my friends learned on that thing. I could always start it myself also. You may want to find a 80's sled with some suspension so he can go on rides with you in greater comfort. We bought a sweet 94 cat 340 Puma Dlx for 1000 at the auction Jan 4 and in feb we saw one go for like 850. It is extremely fun even for us big boys. We put heavy torsion springs on ours as older guys will be riding it when they come out to the house to bomb the fields but it's so lght it's a blast with it's ski skins and 4" carbiddes. An awesome deal i think.

·
Registered
47 Posts
puma 340 dlx, for my girls, they can start them by them selves, just offed one at the bigging of season and one of them uses moms old
jag 440. ready to move up again...I have a 95 puma delux (electirc start) with aprox 2500 miles, 48 studs so the have some control and
6 inch carbides, well maintained $1200.00

·
Registered
20 Posts
My boy is 11 and he is on my old sled 93 500 Classic and seem to get along ok.He can started fine since this Classic didn't come with the elec. start.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I personally had same problem this year. purchased 120 for 6 & 8 yr. old kids can buy or sell used 1 not lose a lot of $ . 12yr. old got cert. and a 380 :D ... small ones crashed many times!!!!! :doh: the oldest had none!!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I learnt on a 78 Elan 250 when I was 10. It really teaches you how to throw around a sled. I then moved up to an 86 INdy Trail and could out ride some of my dad's friends on 580's with that 488.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Im 16 and when i was 15 my dad got me a 76 artic cat jag 270 she ran a wopping 40 mph on a good day but I didnt care.. I rode that thing so much that the suspension blew out(the whole 2 inches that it had) Then the next year i got a 98 Formula z 670 what a difference :devil: Having suspension was great and be able to go 110 blew my mind but what i would say is that earlier this year I got nailed by a 12 year old and his dads brand new mxz 500 DONT GIVE LITTLE KIDS BIG HORSE POWER SLEDS I would recommend a 340 or a 440 with a governor just my 2 cents

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've got the perfect snowmobile for your son. Im selling an '87 polaris indy 340. I've never had any problems with this snowmobile. It is also a bit tippy so he will learn to take corners. Its great. I can show you some pictures if youre interested. Get back to me.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
When my son was 7, he started off on a '69 Olympic 12/3 that he and I had restored together throughout the previous summer and fall. I let him take the first ride...he drove about 25 feet and plowed it into our well cover. :doh: My buddies were down to witness the inaugual ride. They nearly soiled themselves when the old timer took big air. :D No damage...those old sleds are TOUGH!! :)

He drove pretty slow after that for a few months. Once we got the '72 T'nT, he got braver and started to drive faster. He's now 16 and on a 2000 MXZx 440, which he Chernobyl'ed in December. He paid for the repairs and now has a greater respect for the power.

Try to find an older single or small twin. A Bravo, Citation, or small Indy would be perfect.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My daughter (15) put a lot of miles on our 95 Indy 340 this winter and handles it real well. My son who just turned 8 was itching to ride it so I rode with in the back yard (open 3 acres) and he did well so he has "soloed" now and handle it fine so far. I think his experience on his Yamaha PW80 helped a lot as he understood how to (or not to!) handle the throttle. Depends a lot on the child in my opinion.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I had a 76 Jag 3000 that I started on. It wouldn't do near what sleds now can, but it was also tipsy as hell and slow. Being on an old sled teaches you really how to ride and how to handle the sled without relying so much on the suspension to help for control. I'm glad I started on an old one because once I finally got on a newer one I could outride all my friends.

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
put him into a 340, 370 maybe even a 440. i remember those days. seem like it was just yesturday. i guess its only been 14 yrs ago. i could ride aroung in a field for hrs.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I would have to say the best transition sleds are the Yamaha Bravo 250 or the Ski Doo Citiation. Of course, it all depends on the size of your 8 old too. My son is small and will probably ride his Z120 until he's nine. But he has fellow 1st graders that would never fit on a 120.

Find a Bravo or Ovation or Citation. Like they said, will teach them balance and control.

I started on an Olympic 399 at around 9.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts