Snowmobile World banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Ok here's one not mentioned. I bought two Yamaha Sno Scoots for my 6 & 8 year olds. They love them. Their light, manuverable, can go about 35 mph and run all day without using much gas. This worked out great, my 8 year old daughter weighed 68 lbs when she started riding their scoots ( after they shared a kitty cat ) no problem handling it. It's been two years now and we are just starting to plan the transition to a 340 / 440. It will either be next year or the year after. She still only weighs 72 lbs. Good luck lots of choices out there.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I started my boys out on a 73 399 Ski-doo with a throttle limiter. They were 4 and 5 years old. They rode by putting their knees on the seat.. I have home movies of them and it will be great for them to watch when they get older. They also started riding a motorcycle at that age (Yamaha PW-50)
Pic of bike:
http://groups.msn.com/Evelsstuff/bikes.msn...hoto&PhotoID=56

After a few years on the 399, I picked up a basket case 1975 300 Olympic for 200bucks. It came with all new parts just needed to be put together.. The 2 year difference in sleds was a lot..The motor was now moved forward and the gas tank was between your legs instead of the motor like the old 399. I added ski spreader's which helps but is still not as stable as a newer sled. One plus on both of these sleds is "bogey wheels" as they could ride in low snow conditions. They started grass Drag racing at ages 9 and 10. Heres a pic:
http://groups.msn.com/Evelsstuff/oldyeller...hoto&PhotoID=53

The old 300 took many seconds but no first prize as we ran against 340's,377's and 380's. All this time they NEVER rode unsupervised and never really went on a BIG trail ride until they were 11 and 12 when they would go with me one at a time on my wife's 700 SD. I have drilled them with safety (both are NYS certified as lone operators both on sleds and boats) and taught them proper hand signals, trail manors, etc,etc.
Last year we went temporarely insane and bought them each a 2002 MXZ 500fan for Christmas.
2 seasons and 2000 miles later and the only accident so far was my youngest hit the back of my wife's sled while up in Quebec last year on a real icy section when he could not stop (no studs)
I think the younger you start them the better.. as long as they really want to ride.. I saved old yeller for my 8 year old daughter but she shows no desire to ride it so we have it up for sale.. If she decides that she wants to ride in a few years she can start on one of the 500 fans.

I say get him something late 80's-early 90's in 340 size and use a throttle limiter..

Cheers,

Reactions: nicesleddude

·
Registered
1 Posts
I originally bought a 2005 120cc Polaris for my son when he was 2 years old. He rode that thing until he was 12 then I put him on an XLT 600 Tripple 1986. Then when he was 14 I upgraded him to a 2001 Polaris X Edge 600. The X Edge is so much more powerful and lighter than the XLT. It's easy to start and very fast compared to the XLT. He got it up to 80mph last time I checked!

21 - 25 of 25 Posts