Snowmobile World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to buy an ATV but know nothing about them. I have seen alot of ATV posts so there must be a member that could give me some info on what to buy. It will be 4*4 but not sure what brand because they are all so different. My brand preferances are Yamaha or Honda but am open to sugestions. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
haha....wait till Corey sets up atvworld.net!...but there are other atv websites you could check in the mean time....look here

But let me suggest the 2003 Honda 650 (donno what it's called)....looks like a mean bike.....

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
3 yamahas 1996 kodiak 400, 2000 kodiak 400 ultra, 2002 Grissly 660.  

Im am trading the 2000 and 2002 for a bombarider quest 650.  Im is very disapointed in yamahas newest atvs.  After 2000 they went pure plastic.  In the new 660 half the front brush bar is made of plastic.  

And the worst thing is that when you hit the brakes the thing nose dive out of control.  

Other then that there all pretty good.  The ultramatic clutch is good but i wouldnt want to drive into deep water in the middle of the woods alone because somtimes the cheep snorkle that yamaha uses pops of and the clutchs fill with water.  

The 1996 kodiak is awsome and i love it.  The yamaha engines are also great.  Out of all the bikes i never needed to touch the engine.  

But im allways in for parts and there allways back ordered.  I spend more on maintance then i do for skidoo maintnece.

I rode a bombarider traxtor and i loved the wide stance and the neat 4x4 system that they have.  The brembo brakes also kick as.  But it was slow as #### in accel.  But the quest is a skidoo clutch system and has a 650 engine instead of a 500.  I am going to buy it.  But if you are looking for a 4x4 that is a bit sporty then i wouldnt recommend it.  

I am also looking at getting a DS650 Baja.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Well, I'm not a big 4x4 fan, but I was pretty impressed with how the new 4x4's go.  The last one I had ridden was an '89 Honda 350 4x4.  Then I rode my buddies 2000 Magnum.....what a difference.

What type of riding are you planning on doing?  Do you have a price range?  Will you be pulling stuff with it?  Does it need to be fast, or are you happy with something with anything powerful enough to get out of it's own way?

If you answer these questions it will make it much easier to help you decide.  You are right, there are a lot of quads on the market, and many of them appeal to different people.  Just like sleds.....one person may want a ice rocket, and others may want a trail cruiser.  It all depends.

Take care.

-Josh

·
Registered
190 Posts
Dan,

My buddy has a 2000 Warrior.  Not a bad quad at all.  I'm sure that you would be happy with one.

I ride a Banshee and a Modded Polaris Sport 400.  

I you ride a lot of tight trails without many obstacles the Warrior is the way to go.  If you ride wide open spaces you may want to look into getting something a little bit quicker, but the Warrior still isn't a pushover.  If you are riding tight slow going trails with lots of obstacles like rocks, and mudholes then the Warrior wouldn't be all that bad either.  Personally I think that my Sport is a better 2x4 trail quad than my Banshee or my buddies Warrior, but that's just my opinion.  

The good thing about the Warrior is it does everything Average or better than average.  Good all around quad.

-Josh

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
I ride a 2000 Yamaha Grizzley.  I really enjoy the machine, but haven't had the chance to ride a 2002 yet.  I'm inclined to agree with MachZ, from what some others are saying, but have not confirmed it yet.

I think if I had my choice right now, I would go with a Honda, but thats just me.

FishHog

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
My honest opinion on Honda is:  Honda makes a great bike.  But its an old style.  Im not sure but i have seen a few hondas and they remind me of my 96 kodiak.(Nothing wrong with that.)  But i prefure to have all the features and style.  

I may be wrong since i dont know anything about honda because they are very rare where i live.  But im going to bive bombardier a try with the quest and DS.  They allways treated me good with there sleds.

But im done with yamaha.  To get me back they need to improve the brakes, Handling, Build quailty, reduce the plastic and build stronger lasting parts.  Also i want them to stock parts at the dealer so i dont have to wait 10 days to take delivery of a part.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I have a Warrior and a fully tricked out Banshee. The Banshee
was built with bottom end grunt and reliability as primary functions. It also has all the extra's available for better cooling capacity. I just wanted to add to the discussion the fact that the Warrior, being air cooled, the same as a lot of the Honda's, needs to have air running over it to keep from cooking. When on the REALLY tight twisties and motorcycle trails, the Warrior WILL overheat. You just can't maintain enough speed to keep enough air flowing over the cooling fins. The Banshee can be on the same trip, and though it will be obviously warm, it will take more to overheat it. It also cools down faster when you come out on an open area where you can let them stretch their legs a little. Under these same conditions the Banshee is also more comfortable to ride, the heat coming from the motor isn't as apparent on your legs. Seems to happen on the warm muggy days most often. The above would not be a factor at 70 or below. Just something I thought you might like to consider...

Both are fine machines with no design problems to the best of my knowledge. I will be staying with the liquids though, for the next machine. I would not have purchased the Warrior had I known what I know now. I was led to believe that the Banshee had to be kept on the pipe, screaming, and constantly being shifted, and it would load up if not treated that way. None of that has been the case. It will putt along just as happily as the Warrior, only with exotic levels of power on tap should you decide it's time to get aggressive. Reverse and electric start are nice, but are no more usefull than they would be on a sled. I don't miss either when on the Banshee.

Although the 4x4's are obviously very popular, they maneuver like a tank in the twisties compared to a 2x4. The 2x4's handle almost the same as a sled, are easy to slide around a corner, jump, generally get stupid with. The extra traction the 4x4's are capable of is great for plowing snow or playing in the mud. In the area I play in though, the trails are dry and open to the point where 4 wheel drive is just extra weight. That also brings up the point that most of the 2x4's can be loaded into a pickup by one guy...

My 2c,
AL

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
the reason i am leaning towards thw warrior is the same reason i switched the mach1 for  the f3, starter and reverse so the wife can take it even when im am not there!  The banshee is a verry fast machine and is a 2 stroke wich is another reason the warrior is my # 1 choice. the trails around here give you a bit of both worlds, tight twisties with long streaches so i think my choice is going to be the Warrior !

·
Registered
139 Posts
Sled-Head,
     there are so many differences in quads that you can not just say which one is the best.  There are many different things that you have to concider when buying a quad, like price range, what will it be used for, how much speed and power you need, if you want new or used, able to switch between 2 and 4 wheel drive, liquid or air cooled, automatic or manual shift, ground clearance and suspention.  I prefer Yamaha because they have good quality almost as good as Honda.  for automatics the new Kodiak and grizly are nice.  but i prefer manual shift, these are harder to find in the top of the line form.  I have a '94 Yamaha timberwolf 4x4 slow but very reliable, a '87 Yamaha Warrior 500 decent handleing and suspention, and a '99 polaris sportsman 500 has all the features and great suspention but poor quality its all plastic, hubs don't disengage wouldn't run right at first drive shaft boots wear out in 600 mi I wouldn't buy another polaris. For Hard work Honda is the best there new Rincon has some nice features too, rear disc brake 3speed auto trans not belt and a 650 engine.  Answer some of the questions and i could give some recomendations.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would like to go off roading in the mud and use it at the lake to put my dock in and out of the water. I am not sure where derbys take you but I would like to go on a couple. I also have a small man complex and have to have the latest and greatest. Money is not an issue but I dont want to spend my life savings on a sport that I know nothing about. Thank you in advance

·
Registered
139 Posts
Then you want to to have the top of the line I have not heard to much about them but they sound good also plenty expensive. you will want good ground clearance and power.  I would check the Honda Rincon 650, Yamaha Grizzly 660, bombarider quest, Kawasaki prarrie 650 and the Polaris Sportsman 700, and see which one you like I'd go with the honda or yamaha but there all good. I think these run $6-7500 so if you want one step down here are some others Yamaha kodiak Polaris sportsman 500 and 400, honda Rubicon.

·
Registered
731 Posts
If I was asked to rate the ATV's that I have had from 1985 to now (9 total)
1 Honda
2 Yamaha
3 Suzuki
I was not unhappy with any, just if you made me list overall: cost, fun, ride, power, reliability..

Dad has a Arctic Cat 4x4 and loves it.
Have friends with Polaris 4x4 and they are happy.

I do not know anyone that owns a bombarider, so I have no info.

Ride them all and pick the one you like.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
bombardier beats every atv in every catagory except performance and ground clearance.  They have awsome breaks and the engine and clutch are also kick ###.  But what really sets them apart is the build quality.  Thats why there so heavy there built like tanks.  They win almost every trailer pull because of there torque and weight.  

right now I own all yamahas and allthough i have not had anyproblems they are playing the weight game.  there trying to make there atvs lighter and more sporty but in doing so they are compromising part build and quality.  For instance the grissly 660.  I already smashed the plastic brush bar all up and cracked a few things on it.  Ive been to the dealer for a lot of parts and everyone was on backordered.  I would not consider yamaha in the future untill they build a stronger machine.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Hey if your looking for both with 4x4. I suggest to yamaha WOLVERINE. It's full time 4X4 but shaft drivien. And not to pricy either. Autmat cluth, and handels all right. My cousin has one and i got to ride it alittle bit. Plenty of power for trails, and would probly push your boat around all right. Just my opion!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts