Snowmobile World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've loved snowmobile since i smelt the first bit of 2 stroke smoke.  I'm 16 and finally got enough money to buy a sled of my own.  It's a 1991 arctic cat 440 l/c cougar, with 924 miles!!!  I dont know how im going to like it b/c my step dad has a 199 zrt 800.
But anyways to my question.  Where its an older machine I was looking for a new body and frame and everything to put the engine in.  So basically i want something with a blown motor, but I don't know what all it will fit in.  I am looking for at least a 1993 or newer body.
SO IF YOU KNOW WHAT ALL SIZES I COULD TRADE FOR THAT WOULD BE MUCH THANKED. REMEMBER IT'S A LIQUID COOLED, OR CAN I PUT IT INTO A FAN COOLED???
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
93 Posts
You might be in for a lot of expense trying to put a liquid motor in a fan chassis because the fan chassis may have no provision for a fluid circuit because it is not needed. You may be able to retro-fit a cooling system; but, why? I suggest you stroll up to your local sled shop and ask them some questions. Don't ask the parts guys, most don't know crap. Talk to the wrenches there.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
There are alot of different bodies that that motor will drop into. It should drop into any of the old Prowler/EXT bodies, the Cougar 550, the ZL440 or even a ZR580. The bases of these motors were all pretty much the same, so I don't think you'll have much trouble.
It still won't be cheap though. I would think that you'd be better off trading the cougar in on a used ZR580 or 500. You'll get the better chassis, and a whole lot more performance than that piston port 440 will give you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
That motor should fit into any 93-97 twin cylinder motor. You would have to make sure the clutches are aligned and might have to cut a new hole for the exuaust to exit the belly pan. You would be out money though because you would have an old junk chassi with a junk motor you know, much easier to just trade for a newer sled

1 - 5 of 5 Posts