Snowmobile World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I saw this same question posted here somewhere a few weeks back, but when I do a search I can't find anything on it.

Anyway I went out to get my Mach going today (haven't driven it yet this season) and I changed the plugs, etc, etc.

I opened up my oil tank to make sure I had some in it and the small resivoir that you can see was completely empty.

Like I said, I saw this on here a few weeks ago, but I can't remember what was said.

If somebody could let me know what is going on I'd appreciate it. I know the tank was at least 1/2 to 3/4 full when I put it away last spring.

The sled is a 1998 Mach Z, and I'm using Klots oil.

Thanks.

-Josh

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Is there oil on the ground or in the pipe? Maybe you just didn't remember how much was in there. Is the rest of the reservoir behind the airbox still fairly full?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, we moved the sled onto the trailer a couple of months back because we needed some space in the garage and I didn't see anything on the floor. The trailer now has about a foot of snow on it so I can't say if there was any on there or not.

I tried looking at the oil tank, but I couldn't tell if there was anything in it or not.

I know as a fact that it was at least 1/2 to 3/4 full when I put the sled away, and I have never let the oil go out of that small resivoir since I've owned the sled. I had purchased a new bottle of Klots right at the end of last season and filled that tank up right before one of our last rides.

Thanks for the reply.

-Josh

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
well it has to have gone somwhere...there has to be some evidence. I don't think oil can get through the pump unless throttle is open. Could be wrong though

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
@ $35.00 a gallon it's like liquid gold! Someone probably stole it!

Damm oil bandit's :nervous: :doh:

·
Registered
624 Posts
I don't make any claims to being a sled mechanic,,, but, could your crankcase hold a gallon of oil? I don't know if it's even possible for the oil system to drain down, but I'd be checking!

·
Registered
120 Posts
I am not to sure where your oil went, but I think Troll's answer is the most logical. Even though I have never heard of it happening, the oil might have went into your bottom end. Where else could it go?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:D Some entertaining answers guys.

I have no idea what is going on....I don't think I suspect foul play though :p .

I know there wasn't any oil on the garage floor, but a few months ago I moved the sled outside onto a trailer and to be honest today was the only day I really checked it out, and like I said there was a foot of snow around it.

I saw this question posted a few weeks back (maybe in another forum on here), but for the life of me I can't remember what the answer was.

If my oil did drain out into the crankcase would that mean that I could suspect that my oil pump is not closing completely? I had a fouling problem last season that was never really solved.

Thanks guys.

-Josh

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
If the oil is in the crank case it would most likely hydro lock the motor.
Can you turn it over? If it runs does it smoke real real bad?
If it runs and there is no oil in the sled or on the floor then you have some oil bandits in the neighborhood!

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Pirahna I read the post you are talking about. Someone said that there is a check valve for the oil line. That might be your problem.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I can say someone deffinatly did not steal my oil....The only person who has access to the sled would be my father.

I can't remember if my oil was low last season, but I remember that I filled it up the first ride....It wasn't all the way empty though if I remember right. However the sled ran awful the first ride. It was really doggy and acted like I had a fouled plug. After stopping and checking the plugs a few times and even changing them once and the problem didn't go away I wasn't sure what to check next. By the end of our 60 mile ride the problem was gone. I had drained my gas the week before and had my carbs cleaned also.

Like I said, I also had a fouling problem last year, and I would typically foul a plug after I first started the sled and got going on a trail ride. Towards the end of the season the problem got worse and I fouled 4 or 5 plugs in a 40 mile trip. Different cylinders pretty much each time. The sled went back into the shop and the guy still didn't really do much other than say switch to br8es plugs. I ran 9's my last ride out because I had a whole box left and I still fouled 2 plugs...I didn't get a chance to try 8's.

Would it be possible for my oil pump to be stuck open a little bit? If it was, and the sled was parked, would the oil leak out somewhere? If so, where would it go?

Mikadoo, the last time I started the sled was a few months ago. It smoked a lot, but I expeced that because it was the first time I started it since spring. I could smell the oil, but I did not check the level because I didn't think of it. I moved the sled from the garage to the trailer (about 10 feet) and I fouled a plug in the process. Pretty bad when your first plug of the season is in September.

I have not even pulled it over yet because I wasn't sure of my oil level. I'll go check it today and see if I can deffinatly see oil in there or not. If there is oil in there is it safe to pull it over??? I rebuilt it the season before last and I don't want to screw anything up.

Also, just incase anyone was wondering. When I foul plugs I can typically tell which one it is once I pull it out....It's always wet and black.

Permafrost, does that mean the oil would leak out the valve??? Where would it go???

I don't know much about this stuff.

Thanks.

-Josh

·
Registered
624 Posts
Josh,

I'm going on the fact that you foul so many plugs, and it's random if I understand your post corectly. And when you said you fouled one after running the sled from the garage to the trailer, it made me feel I could have been right.

You must have a real problem with your oil pump, check valve or whatever is involved there. I'm no mechanic, but #### rolls downhill the world over. Gravity Rules! The oil your missing is in your crankcase.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
This doesn't sound like it applies to you but we had a 91 MX that the plastic spout on the bottom of the tank just broke off of in storage over the summer.Aperently this was pretty common that year.If you really have all that oil in your crankcase I'd pull the sparkplugs before you even try to pull it over.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All,

Thanks again for the help.

This weekend I tried pulling the sled over with the plugs out and didn't really get anything. Not even gas really. Am I not doing something right?

Thanks.

-Josh

·
Registered
11 Posts
My friends 98 mach 1 sprung a leak over the summer...something let go at the bottom of the oil reservoir tank. You would be seeing oil all over though....

·
Registered
204 Posts
Saw this post, hows this. I topped off my 99 mxz 600 with oil a couple of weeks ago. This weekend I put studs in the track and had the rear of the sled up and on about a 30 degree angle. when I put the sled back down Sat. night there was oil on my floor Sun. morning. Cant see where it came from but I m gonna take off the airbox to check. p.s that mustardman post on the scuffed mxz6 cylinders is totally upsetting me. :cussing:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts