Snowmobile World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I went a different way to work today and passed a snowmobile shop...I saw that they had an MXZ out front so I went to take a look at it.

It was an MXZX 440 (not sure what year, but it was the ZX Chassis...can't believe I forgot to ask).

Anyway, I got a suprise when I looked at the odometer and saw 10,000 miles on it (miles, not kilometers).  

So I went inside just to see how much they were asking for it and the guy said that they wanted $3500 for it, but if I came back this weekend it was their Summer sale and it would be reduced to $3000.

I asked him if it really had 10,000 miles on it and he said yes.  The previous owner said that he had just had the topend done in it though.  Still...that is a lot of miles.  I didn't ask him if anything else was new because I was in a hurry.  Physically the sled looked mint though.

I really wish it had less miles on it or I would deffinatly buy it, but with this many I'm not sure.  I don't know enough about sleds to say so...so I wanted to come on here and get your opinions.

Basically I am really sick of my Mach Z and all of the problems it has been having.  I think the problem is partially my sled and partially that nobody around me has the ability to work on it.  I think I would be better off with a smaller twin....less finicky than the triples....I hear.

Guys, I can't tell you how much I'm bummed about the mileage on the sled....These things are hard to come by up here and everybody wants top dollar for them and they are typically in crappy physical shape.  

Can you give me your opinions please?

Thanks for the help.

-Josh

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
If its got good compression and will pass a leak down test then its just as good as a motor with 5000mi on it.  

Just make sure the bushings in the suspention are replaced and that the machine feels tight and not like its going to fall apart.  

10000 miles is a lot but if the last owner took good care of it then thats not suprizing.  I have seen many sleds go over that and even double that.  Its just a natural event that all rotax's go through.

Good luck.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Man...I'm really tempted to get this sled.  It's hard though cause I love the Mach when it's running right and in my heart I know it's a good sled.  I hate to insult the mechanics around here because all of them are more competant than me, but it just doesn't seem like anybody can get the sled running right.  I bring it in for one problem and it always comes back with something else, or even worse it comes back with the same problem and some new ones.  

What about the bottom end of the engine...crank, bearings and all of that other stuff I know nothing about?  Can that leak down test you spoke of test any of that?  I have a compression tester, but I have no clue what the leak down test is.

As I said, this sled is in really great shap...near mint.  I didn't spend a lot of time looking at it so I would deffinatly check it out better, but if it surely is in mint shape that is a good sign that the previous owner took good care of it.

Just for fun I called the dealership that has it to ask if they would be interested in my Mach....he said that my Mach is worth more than the MXZ and they don't buy sleds so they could not give me an offer on it.  They offered to let me put a deposit on the MXZ though so that is cool.

In your honest opinion what would you say?  I know you love you Mach's to death....Have you ridden the ZX 440?  Will I be dissapointed?

Thanks for the help.

-Josh

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
In all honesty if you love the mach when its working.  You probably wont like the 440ZX.

Even though the 440 has low end torque and is really light plus its a factory racer, the mach z is king of power.  The mach is smooth and the engine is very very smooth.  The engine will just hum as im sure you know when as the twin will be screaming to make power.  

If you run on trails that are nothing but bumps and jumps and mogles and turns then the ZX440 is your sled.  

If you ride flat, winding, the occational bump and you like to do this at speeds around 100km then the Mach is your sled.

The 440ZX is also a nightmare when it comes to tuning, its a very finiky sled.

What i would be doing is keeping the mach or go to a sled like a 2001 mxz 600 with less miles.   But before you do anything what is wrong with your Mach.

Make us or me a list of what its doing wrong and will see if we can help you or tell you what to tell your mechanic.

----

Compression test-  This is a test that measures the emount of PSI the piston makes after one stroke.

Leak down test - This is a test that tells you the condition of your piston/piston rings.  YOu need inject compressed air down the sparkplug hole when the piston is at Top dead center.  There is a gauge that tells you if your engine is ok.  If the needle is in the red and droping you need new rings, if its in the green then your still good.  

A leak down gives you a bigger better story of your engine,  It give you a better idea of the condition of the engine, or was a good oil being used.  

If you are in the green after 10000mi then you can bet a good oil was used probably meening that the crank is still ok.  However when a sled gets up to 10000mi it could break 10min after your first ride or maybe 10000miles later.  You really cant tell.

But you should stick with the mach...

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Man thanks again.

As for the probs with my Mach....right now it is only a Plug Fouling issue, but it's really anoying.  I have taken it to 4 different places and they can't figure it out....spent a good amount of money too.  The only thing they tell me is "It's a big sled and it WILL foul plugs".  That isn't a good enough explaination for me.  I don't cruise around at 5mph and it gets cleaned out plenty.  All wasn't lost when I brought it to the shops because they did fix a few other problems, but not the most annoying one.

I am thinking of taking the sled to a real reputable shop like the Crank Shop here in Vermont (right near where I work), but I just don't want to get it fixed and have other problems with it.

Idealy I think I'm looking for something like an MXZ 670 H.O. (too bad it isn't in the ZX chassis).  It just doesn't seem like the shops around here have what it takes to keep the Mach running.  

I don't know...if that MXZX didn't have 10,000 miles on it there wouldn't be a question in my mind.  I'm sick of watching it snow while my sled is in the shop regardless of whose fault it is.  All I know is that I maintain it like it should be maintained...I run good oil in it and always the best gas.  My carbs were cleaned multiple times last year and I most always take a plug reading while on the trail to make sure my jetting is on.  She sleeps inside in a garage and under a cover....That thing gets babied so bad it makes my Fiance Jelous.  

Maybe I'm just cursed.

Thanks again for all of the info.  You are keeping my thoughts in perspective, otherwise I would have just given up on the Mach and taken whatever I could get.  This isn't a simple decision so I do need to think it through.

-Josh

·
Registered
852 Posts
Wow.. I `ve had a mach, 2 zx`s, a 670, there all different. To be honest (and I know this wont help you) I`m glad I owned em all, theyve all been outstanding, but I`ve owned 2 zx`s and probably will own another one. For what its worth, I`ve always thought, just as in cars, if its got a zillion miles on it and its tight, lookin good, it had to be a well cared for machine.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had the same problem with my 98 mach z. Took it to the shop many many times I'd call and they'd said it was fixed, Go down to pick it up Load it up on the trailer fouls plugs. Called a different dealer and he told me to check the ohm reading on the stator. Guess what that is what it was. Also put new spark plug coils on it. Also if your dess light flickers on and off or stays partailly lite you got a short somewhere.
Go luck
Machz rule  

·
Registered
158 Posts
mY BUDDY HAD A 98 MACH WITH THE SAME PROBLEM, changed the stator and it went away, but came back when it had some more milage on the stator,then it started fouling plugs again, then it left him stranded.Stator again.Now  he drives a zx chassis and he loves it.it's a 800 twin thou. I think you will fall in love with the zx chassis but will miss the straight line accelleration.Good luck.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I've had tracks blow out on me with 6000 miles on them.  Sorry, but there is no-way-in-#### i would trust a sled with 10,000 mile on it!  what about the shocks, suspension berring/bushings, tunnel fatigue, etc....   Just my 2cents, but with all the help on this fourm you can probably get your mach running perfect...

good luck.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I agree with MachZZZ1, if you like your Mach when it's running good, then you wont be happy with the 440.  It would be fun as a second sled and for a change, but not as your only ride.  There's no replacement for displacement.  If you want the ZX chasis, go with the 800 twin.  That's the closest you can get to your Mach.

·
Registered
292 Posts
WOW,

I have had 4 sleds that are still running with over 10,000 miles on them.  My 99' mach has 13,000.  10,000 were from me.  I would check the obvious and buy it.  I bought my girlfriends mxz 700 with 7000 miles.  It still goes 112 and gets 10-12 mpg.  I put in a set of rings and replaced a few bearings underneath.  Other than that it is a great machine.  As far as the track's go some last and some don't.  My typical season is 4000+ miles so I have to take good care of things.  Just normal wear and tear can cost a fortune if you are not carefull.  I would say that if the sled looks good after 10,000 miles then the individual abviously enjoyed and took care of the sled.  You have little to worry about.

GLH

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
im telling you right now if you had a mach z you will not like the 440,the zx body is fantastic,but to drop to a 440 is a huge drop,i have a 800 twin and tried a 440 and was not  happy at all with it,you will get left behind everywhere and you will be holding the gas to the bar all the time(also if it snows and your riding in 4 inchs of fresh powder you will feel so underpowered),your better off with a 700 or 800 twin.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I agree with GLHRACING.  If the sled looks mint, the previous owner must have taken great care of it.  If you check for the obvious and run it for a couple minutes to see how it runs, I think you will be in for some smooth sailing bud!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Z28
You said you foul plugs getting it on the trailer.  When else does it foul plugs?  A friend has a 98 FIII 600 and the only time he has troubles fouling plugs is when the engine is not warmed up properly.  That is what I notice about most triple riders.  When up north, go out in morning and seems most people fire the sled and take off right away without warming it up.  They ride flipping the choke back and forth or primaring it and before long they stop, open the hood, kill the engine and curse at it becuase it fouled.  Not saying you or all triple riders do this, but I see a lot that do.  Also, a lot of twin riders do this but they don't foul as easy.  Anyway I always get a good laugh as I drive past those riders.  I ussually sell my sleds with 7000-8000 miles on them.  My 96 mxz 583 had 78xx miles when I sold it to a real dumb***.  He took the head off a couple times to look at the pistons and reused the original head gasket each time.  It cracked a piston around the 10,000 mile mark.  My old 670 Ho has 93xx miles on it and is still running strong.  Nothing has ever been touched on that sled.  If I were you I would only buy the 440 if it is a 01 or 02 model, they have ZX-X chassis and sc-10 III rear suspension.  Plus all of the other refinements over the first years of zx.  If possible keep the mach and buy the 440 as a second sled.  One of the two should be running in case of a break down, right?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts