Snowmobile World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
YAMAHA with her triple was not very good on snocross but the yamaha triple was the most powerfull on every triple

i never saw a triple doo or polaris or cat on a snocross and in the grass drag the best was SRX and viper

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Gosh!  How dare you post that pic.  Look at that perfectly white snow!
  I am very jealous!  haha jk

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I give yamaha full credit for not selling out for twins and sticking with the triples.  Even with all the weird stuff yamaha does this just proves triples are better because yamaha is using them.  If they could get twins to run better thats all they would use.

On grass drags the yamahas are always a contender, mostly because the other manufactors are all caught up with there twins and dont touch the triples.  But i have still seen machs and t-cats beat srxs in pavement and grass drags.  And on snow the doo will win everytime becasue of yamahas suspention.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I think Yamaha makes excellent sleds, they may not be the best at any one thing, but they are exceptionally well rounded machines. I believe they use triples for a couple reasons......for 600cc and up triples are more efficient than twins and they are willing to pay a weight penalty for this, they are smooth, good on fuel, quiet, and reliable. Yamaha chooses not to sacrifice reliabilty for power in general, which is why they have a reputation for reliability.

·
Registered
167 Posts
i have several and love them all my old srx is a little rocket my xlv is smooth as silk and my vmax4 bad to the bone

·
Registered
376 Posts
I love how smooth the yamahas are,and the wide power band of the triples. very dependable, had a 97 700sx and never had a problem with it. The only reason why I switched brands is that yamaha didn't offer a bigger ditch banger than the sxr. But now that I think of it I should of bought one and just modified it.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I for one, I haven't ridden a lot of Machines. Any sled I buy would be a Mountain sled. I have ridden a 96 Arctic Cat powder special, but it seems squirrely to ride. My Mountain max, to me is a lot more stable. The Max has a sway bar, the cat I rode didn't. I did have a hard time learning to side hill the Max, but didn't really get a chance to try the Cat, the cat seemed like it always wanted to tip over. I finally figured out how to do it on the Max, It was really all in the throttle and just leaning a little, just had to figure it out. I was told to take off the sway bar and its easier,but on a smooth road, I would much rather have the sway bar. Now that I know how to do it, I am keeping the sway bar.
2nd. I like triples. My best friend and I go riding all the time. It was his Cat 580 (twin) powder special I rode. We got our sleds at the same time. He still can't believe the gas mileage I get. We ride together and back at the trailer I have a half tank and he is on empty.
3. The third reason I bought a Yammi is due to a crazy logger named Lug-nut. No matter how many times you beat him on the head he just laughs it off and then kicks the living #### out of you! He has a 2000 Mountain Max and for 2 years I watched him trash the living #### out of that sled, never change the coolant, oil, belt, or even the plugs. He has flipped it, didn't even break the windshield or hood! When I got the money I bought a Max mainly due to lug. I take care of my stuff, and if its lasted Lug 3 years now, mine should last a lifetime!

The only thing I don't like about it is in the deep powder, it tunnels, I mean it is a TUNNEL BORING MACHINE! it dosn't float on top of the powder (2-3 ft of fresh powder) It don't get stuck, you should see it, snow rolls off the windshield, I just bought it last year and its stock, If I get some Simmons ski's for it and mess with the track/shock adjustment it will probably do a lot better. I was breaking trail here and this is what I am talking about, that snow on the hood is from what I call tunneling.
4th, The throttle response is outrageous, it seems like it does wheelie's. Yamaha may not be the fastest sleds like many on this site claim, but what I use it for, I don't need a 100 mph sled, another friend bought an mxz, and traded it in, nothing wrong with the sled, but he got stuck constantly. If you don't have a mountain sled, don't even come around these parts, unless you like to dig!

·
Registered
731 Posts
Humm ???
I like my wifes XT rear skid more than my ETT and the M-10's I have rode.
I did take the time (lots of time) to set it up. The M-10 should have felt better, I don't think anyone adjusted it. Just my .02

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Loved the XT skid on our old '96 vmax600. Buttery smooth on trails and rail beds. Though like them all we broke the front or back arm(can't remember now)and welded it back up.
Caleb

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
My one and only complaint was the ride of the Mountain Max that I rode in Yellowstone last winter. Then again, a mountain sled probably isn't the best choice for trail riding either. :hallo1:

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
Last year we took 3 Vipers out to Grand Lake, Colorado since it was the only place with snow. Yep, stock tracks (studded) and we had to rejet/reclutch when we got there. This was the first time I had ever been mountian riding, and it was incredible. Each day, we hit Gravel Mountain to try to see how far we could get up "Super Chicken". We'd play in the fresh 6-10" of snow each morning just high marking each other. Then the mountain sleds would come and just drive right on by us.

I feel Yamaha is a viable company with their "focused" market of sleds. I think all mfgrs have great products for their customers. I'll stay a Yamaha guy because he's the only sled dealer within 200 miles.

Oh, if you want to see photos of our trip to Grand Lake, CO and Minocqua, WI, go to http://www.woodycam.org

We may also be studding some sleds on the live streaming web cams at my home soon.

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
Here's my cousin on his Viper in something a little too deep for his stock 121" track......

Attachments

·
Registered
387 Posts
I can't say enough good things about Yamaha.

I have been very pleased, in three years, two with a 99 Vmax 500 Dlx and last year on a ViperER, I have not had a single breakdown, and that's some 5000+ miles!

Their sleds weigh a bit more than competitive models but you get extra quality and finish as the trade off.

Not a bad trade! IMO

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
I like them

I ride Doo now but had a Yamaha before and it was the best sled I ever owned

86 SRV 27,000km :p always got me home with a smile on my face

Oh Ya they make much better recoils than Doo :cussing:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts