Snowmobile World banner

41 - 60 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
wouldnt that kill the guys on dial up? dont want that to happen but it is a good idea....
corey what if we can get a texas holdem poker game on the site, so we can go in and play with our fellow sledders.... no money involved though
[/b]
I have dial up and the pictures load for me at the same speed no matter what the size. Actually the larger pics in the post can be kept to the same memory restrictions that are in place now as its just the diameter of the pic that is larger not the kb's or mb's. :thumbsup:

·
Banned
5,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I have dial up and the pictures load for me at the same speed no matter what the size. Actually the larger pics in the post can be kept to the same memory restrictions that are in place now as its just the diameter of the pic that is larger not the kb's or mb's. :thumbsup:
[/b]
We can increase the size of the thumbnail that is created, but it does indeed affect dialup users. People already complain about the speed of the site, this would just make it worse. If we increase the size of the thumbnail without significantly reducing the image quality, file size will increase which will increase download time.

People sometimes forget that one of the reasons that SW is a tad slower than some other sites is the shear amount of data that is being allowed. From avatars to signatures to inline weather buttons and images, it all increases the time. The software may be the same but the actual forum content is not.

This is why I keep insisting that those users that are experiencing speed issues (ie dialup users) NEED to use the Hyperspeed skin. It was designed SPECIFICALLY for them.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
This is why I keep insisting that those users that are experiencing speed issues (ie dialup users) NEED to use the Hyperspeed skin. It was designed SPECIFICALLY for them.
[/b]

Good point Cory.

I just switched to that because things have slowed down and I hadn't fullfilled my fix yet and found the button at the bottom.
I can't believe how much faster it loads the pages.
That's a great function. Even on high speed.

Thank's for giving us the opportunity to suggest changes.

Jeff

·
Registered
411 Posts
corey what if we can get a texas holdem poker game on the site, so we can go in and play with our fellow sledders.... no money involved though
[/b]
I would like this as well. :thumbsup:
I saw at http://www.ibproarcade.com/ he is working on a full version of Texas Hold'em for the arcade board.

Just a thought.

SWRules

·
Registered
393 Posts
I have cable and have never had an issue with speed at all! Maybe you're dial up is the issue? I agree that spell checker would be a huge benefit. I also like puree's idea! If we new when others were going to be rideing in our areas we would have more insentive to go out and ride! Might even work as an excuse or alibi !!!!! For the most part SW is fine the way it is. Would it be possible to make the site a little smaller? It's a little overwelming! :crazy: Just kidding! SWRules

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
It the KB size of some of the pics that effect stuff

Even if the thumbnail is small

I can tell if the person has a 150+kb pic

the tumbnail takes lots of time to upload in the original post

I try to keep my pics in the 40-100kb range as it uploads super quick

If the pics are resized before posting it would be no problem

BUT the fact is not many people resize their pics

·
Banned
5,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
BUT the fact is not many people resize their pics
[/b]
Unfortunately, you are exactly correct.

And when we had the image upload limits low to help those with dialup, we received a TON of emails that people could not insert images in posts AND that many did not know how to resize them. That is why I made the resize tutorial, yet the complaints still came in.

It forced us to raise the limit to strike a balance betweeen dialup and those with hi-speed. Unfortunately, dialup users bear the brunt of that compromise. This result was the driving factor for creation of the HyperSpeed skin, which gave back that speed (+ some) for those with slow connections.

·
10,054 Posts
Have you ever thought of approaching or have been approached by ADVERTISERs :huh: to help offset the cost of this site to your pocket book?
[/b]

We are currently working with various companies in the industry to try to bring them on board to help offset costs,,,, we also have some already on board. If you have companies out there that you feel would be a good match for us, feel free to pm one of the mods and we can get this taken care of.

·
Registered
337 Posts
During the off season, we plan to retool SW. So I would like to get some feedback on what YOU would like to see added or removed from the site. And any other comments you might have.

You can post here, PM me, or email ([email protected]). Your choice.

Thanks everyone.
[/b]
How about some speed.
This site is usually unbearably slow, even with a high speed connection it's painful / pathetic.

EDIT: seems okay today. Update or fluke?

·
oldslowsledder
6,491 Posts
How about some speed.
This site is usually unbearably slow, even with a high speed connection it's painful / pathetic.

EDIT: seems okay today. Update or fluke?
[/b]
We just went over all this, read back through the post and it'll answer some of your questions. I'm on dial-up here and it is by no means pathetic / painful. Try the hyperspeed link at the botton left of the page.

·
Banned
5,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
What does choppy mean?

The "perceived" slowness is again, simply the amount of content on the page. But I hear the complaints LOUD and CLEAR. I promise you this will be resolved with the new design.

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
I like to have added under Snowmobiling extras a Motorcycle forum

for the off season of sledding. I think it would keep the site alive.

And bring in more members from the outside world. We can

then show them what were all about! :thumbsup: my .02

I would also like to have business type cards and pass those out to other riders

when stopping at so called pit stops. I know for a fact no one else is dooing this

so WE could be the 1st ones out there. Have something simple made up with

SnowmobileWorld.com on it then something like tell them SLeDHeaDDuDe800

sent ya or who or whatever. Who knows you won't know till ya try! my .02 again.

41 - 60 of 127 Posts