Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What gives the best bang for the buck/What adds alot of HP w/o sacraficing a motor? What about reeds? Do they sell an exahust system for twins that change it from a single pipe to one that uses twin pipes?THANX

·
Registered
745 Posts
Buy a clutch kit, best bang for the buck. Now if you plan on modifying the engine, porting,reeds,pipes,gears,etc,,do all the mods first, then clutch it and hold on :hallo1: . It all depends on budget, but if all you have is lets say $300, go for the clutch kit.

just my .02

FZ700

·
Registered
745 Posts
Sorry, as for pipes, yes you can add twin pipes. With any type of mods, talk to a speed shop first, they can tell you what you can do without sacrificing engine dependability.
check out www.fettbrosperformance.com or call them at 218-334-3388
ask for Dale, he has alot of knowledge. He does not sell anything that he personally has not tried.

FZ700

16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Who makes a good clutch kit, and what do they help with(torque,speed,gas milage)? Do any of ya'll have one? How much are they? Does the kit make a "dramatic" difference?THANX

·
Registered
496 Posts
Clutch it first. When you get pipes make sure they are at or below the laws decibal rating. Becuase they are no good if the :cussing: DNR kicks you off the trail every time :angry:

" Damn you DNR Damn you "

As for who makes a good one I would research that,It all depends on money like the sign says! I put one on my kitty cat and it ran like a bat out of hell and even took my buddies Mach Z in 660ft. Yes it does make a big difference depending on what rpm you engage your primary at , neck snap or cruiser.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Goodwin, EPI, RPC,and check out Speedwerx, these are kits that I have tried or friends have tried . A good clutch kit should pull hard from low end to mid-range, plus great backshifting. It all depends on your riding stlye, are you a lake racer or do you like the quick burst for the corner to corner runs through the woods. My clutch kit was done by Hinkley motorsports. My set-up is for the 0 to 75 mph, i have a decent top end. I'm not a lake racer. Lucas took my weight(with all my gear on),engine mods, track size, # of studs, gear ratio and made a custom kit. Set up sled, run it, keep on changing springs, weight and helix till you find the right set-up. It may cost more, but well worth it. Clutch kits will wake up any sled.

FZ700

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Before anyone can give you specific advise you need to post the year of your sled.
On the smaller engines its generally considered a waste of dough buying v-force but reeds such as Carbon Tech give you a decent gain in throttle response.
A good clutch kit such as Goodwyns (my favorite but lots of other good ones out there) will give you a great bang for your buck.
Pipes are good but they always seem to come with some sort of a trade off be it a loss of low end torque or just the fact that most raise the top end rpm which can/will effect reliability.
Rick.

·
Registered
354 Posts
ACPS, if you ride in VT, which now I know you do, do not get pipes! They are really going to crack down this year and fine and impound. Artic Cats really bark with pipes so there is no "sneaking by". I have talked to VAST people and this was a trade off to landowners who wanted cerfews(sp?) on their property. Go with the clutch.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts