Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for my bad english) WEll, just bought this used sled and problem begin (Srx 98). Last weekend, i broke the clutch. The clutch is repair but now the sled wont go any faster than 143kmh and THE ENGINE sound is very different. NOW the sound is very acute (dunno if its the good word) My Girlfriend who was behind me on the sled said the same thing about the sound engine, im not crazy. im afraid cuz my old Formula 90 started to sound like that before the engine die Secundo, i can't keep the throttle wide open cuz it act like if i was running two piston's or like no gaz flow to the carburator Can i have PowerValve problem cuz dunno if they are clean... I dont have touch anything on the sled except changing the clutch.....I'm desperate

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
How do the spark plugs look? Are you maybe leaning it out and that's why it runs on two? As far as the sound, has it gotten alot colder since the last time you drove it or could it be that one or more of yoru pipes are not lined up with the muffler?

·
Registered
162 Posts
If mine runs the way you described ( has 2 times) it has always been a plug fouled.
Take a compression reading( with throttle wide open) and see if all cly. are the same.
Also you could get a bend a light and look at your pistons to see if they look good. I don;t think these are your problems but it doesn't hurt to look and eliminate them.

My last ride did what you said , I had no power or speed and it sounded wierd , ended up being a plug gone bad.

·
Registered
417 Posts
If you broke your primary clutch it could be that  your crank is out of alignment, causing your pto end seal to suck air. Do a compression test first. If good, change all three plugs. No change, start and spray ether behind clutch and see if rpm's increase. If they do, end seal.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HI! thx for the reply. The First thing i have check is the plug cap and seem to be find. Tomorrow i will check for the compression and the crankshaft. Hope its not the crankshaft, please no....

·
Registered
259 Posts
Fortress,
    98's had a Crank problem so you might want to check with the dealer to see if yours was done or not. A mechanic in town that I know fairly well was telling me a couple of weeks ago that he did a crank on a 98 that was never done and Yamaha still covered it even though it is the 2002 season and the machine is way out of warranty. He said the Yammi guys told him that they have recoginzed the problem and cannot turn away those who are experiencing it. If it is the crank and the dealer says no then go straight to Yamaha, I have heard of a few people who have had Yamaha cover "common problems" despite the fact that it was out of warranty.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi guys!!! Thx for your help. I have found that i have a broken exhaust valve wire. The valve was jammed . The weird sound engine was probably due to this and my lost of power at top end (Intermittent)

sorry for my bad english

·
Registered
162 Posts
the other thing to check for on the 98's was the ski spindle, there was a recall on that and I just got my 98 this year and they still fixed mine.
Yamaha stands behind the sled

1 - 8 of 8 Posts