Snowmobile World banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks-
I bought a couple sleds a while back - one was a '75 Olympic 340 that the previous owner said probably had a bent crank. I was checking it out while drinking beer in the garage and pulled on it and it turned over w/ a squeaking sound. I turned the key on and pulled again and it fired on the first pull?!?! (I didn't expect that) Anyways I listened to it and it wasn't squeaking at all and was idling great. My wife came home while it was happily idling there and after a few minutes of talking to her I turned around to hit the throttle and hear it rev but it stalled. I figured it flooded but I tried to pull it and it wouldn't budge. It IS seized now :(

What should I do? What do you think happened? I looked for a new crank on the internet and they seem to be around $300 or 3x the cost of the sled. Should I take the motor apart - can the crank be fixed if it is bent? Is there a cheaper used crank out there? How much should I pay for a total-rebuild? I never rebuilt one - is it stupid for me to even try? Are there a lot of special tools required? Thanks for your ideas.
-Adam

·
Registered
158 Posts
I would search around and look for a parts sled for yours, you might be able to find one for the cost of a new crank and you would have a whole sled for parts and a crank for yours. If not maybe one the guys on this site might have what your looking for.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Check out used and rebult parts on line their are alot of them . In Wis theirs one I have used called cental salvage I know that alot times on older motors they have also new ones for a few hunderd bucks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts