Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have you guys(gals)ever hit anything while riding powder?ive been pretty lucky with the amount of off trail riding i do to only hit 2 things,i caught a guide wire climbing a hill ,stopped me dead in my tracks and did a flip over the handle bars,broke bumper,and hood,the 2nd was when i ran into REGOR on a trip to moosenee,there was so much powder floating in the air i didnt see him till the last second and hit him from behind ,it was good he had a 5 gallon can on the back as it absorbed most of the impact,but unfortunately it bent his tunnel,again i went for a good trip over the bars,but at least no one was hurt :cussing: :thumbsup:

·
Coming 2 a Trail near You
2,267 Posts
Not that theres alot of powder in VT... But ol' PowderBoy here managed to hit a model T ford in a field. That thing was buried under a nice 5 foot snow drift. I never saw it coming... and neither did the ZRT. The biggest problem was getting that thing out afterwards. I got a quick lesson on how i shouldnt take my old triple out Powderiding. Hence Ever sinced old pops and friends have called me PowderBoy...

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I can't wait to be out in the powder. It's going to be such a great winter. I'm definetly buying a new '03 renagade with rer. trying to find the best deal now.
caleb

·
Registered
959 Posts
well i will know in feb. what it will be like i am going on a 2 week trip to montana/wyoming skiing/snowboarding and hopefully sledding!!!!!!!!! CANT WAIT

·
Registered
373 Posts
About 10 years ago riding my '89 Exciter, I was traveling down some railroad tracks that had not been used for awhile with just enough powder over them to make a pretty good trail, I got stuck in one of the rail cross overs and over the handle bars I went, the sled was so stuck it took two of us and a long timber to pry the sled out of the tracks, it bent the skis and struts into a V formation if you can picture that.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
That is one of the things I like about Cochrane . It is north of the canadian shield in the hudson bay lowlands so there is alot less rocks up there. Down here the hydro cuts are a rock strewn mess. Last year I only had one crash. We were all blazing through the powder on our way back to Cochrane from Iroqouis Falls. I launched accross a frozen creekbed at about 70kms. Unfortuately the other side was much higher :0: I was stopped dead in an explosion of powder. Thrown from the machine end over end. After checking that nothing was broken on me, I was laughing my head off. Dug out the gade and on we went. The only thing we hit last year on the cuts were a few tree tops :) We have talked about the trip to moosenee. Billy offers a guided tour up there. Definately some serious trail breaking from what I have heard.. They drop fuel from the train for refilling.

SWRules

Last edited by permafrost at Sep 28 2002, 04:21 PM

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I hit a rock one time on one of my other sleds and broke the ski off it was on my old XLT actually, and last winter i found a little brook which was hiding under a fresh snow drift and i went up and over the handle bars and burried my mxz that was quite the surprise :p

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if i was to do moosenee again i would take the power line from cochrane to fraserdale,we had taken the trail up to fraserdale(100 miles)then you ride the power line up to tozers camp,then its another 70 miles on the river to moosenee,we bypassed some major hills in fraserdale,we had left late that morning,supposed to leave at 7am when we got to the hotel(northadventure) couple guys were just getting up and still had to eat breakfast(the rest of us were ticked off)so 2 hours later we got on our way,its 230-250 miles and when we rolled into moosenee it was dark,we were going to hit the hills on the way back but a few machines were not running very good,my clutch was finished i was only pulling 6000 rpm wide open,so i couldnt climb anything(new clutch on warranty),but was a good time and would like to do it again :D

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Guys, I saw a guy's post on another site I mentioned this site. He was wondering if it would be possible to 'doo the Moosenee trip w/o a guide?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I did the same thing as Permafrost, also here in Cochrane. The other side was frozen earth though. My choices were to brake and nose dive into it and ultimitaly wreck my sled or power through so as to at least get the ski's over the other side. Hit square in the center of the sled under my feet, straightening the arch of my right foot breaking one major bone. The new reinforced tunnel(thanks to Pantera) held up though, sled was fine.

As for the Moosenee trip, You would have to be DAMNED well informed before you left to do it on your own the first time out. If the tangle of power lines and winter roads don't get you the Abitibi and Moose rivers probrably will. You would also have to arange for someone to bring gas to certain stops along the way, or carry a sleigh. I've done it once and would probrobly arange for an over night stay at Tozers camp so as I could have a full day to negotiate the river the first time. Your best bet is to hook up with a group that is already going and pitch in on the guide. It's well worth the money!

·
Registered
120 Posts
if it is there,I will find it!!!
the worst one was when I was climbing a hill(on my buddy's sled) and lost control near the top and ended up sending me and the sled into and through about 10 to 15 tree's.let's just say that the tree's won and I ended up with a new sled :doh:

but we all walked away with a good laugh and I am getting ready to ride that sled another season.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
This is a pic of Crazy B just south of kirkland lake . I had to saw him out of this one. No harm done.just to the tree.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
:( Rocks.............lots of darn Rocks.........and out here on the prairies, you really have to watch for farm machinery left out in the fields!!! :cussing: :p

·
Registered
360 Posts
Let`s all pray this year will be tree free, and make sure when your powder busting you bring along that priceless piece of equipment ...... a shovel....you`ll be glad ya did. :sarcasm:

·
Registered
386 Posts
A couple of my friends were riding one of my sleds years ago on a tight trail. The guy on the back knew they werent going to make the next corner and bailed, the guy on the front got a tree across the chest. I turned around and came back and found both of them on the trail, the passenger very upset at the driver. The sled was nowhere to be seen so I went searching and found it about 30 feet off the trail, tangled up in an old bed spring.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Does this count, I was doing about mach one when I came up on this gully. It hurt like the dickens and did $3,000 in damage to my sled.

RIDE SAFE

Attachments

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ouch ,that one looks bad,guess you had a second to think before you hit the bottom :nervous: :nervous: could you drive it out?or was it towed?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts