Snowmobile World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate new slang..........please explain.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't it mean getting in to the backcountry? As in "out in the boondocks" I haven't heard boondocks since I was a kid back in the '60s  
Also I think there was a song "Down in the Boondocks" Some of the older posters  

may know for sure.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
My guess would be when Daniel Boon parks his boat? I'm still trying to figure out if I'm cool or chilled

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Yes, Boondocking means riding into the backcountry.  We had a survey about a month or so ago that was "where do you ride," and boondocking was one of the choices!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lol!!!!!!!!!! Formulaman, I like your response the best!
I feel real stupid, I live in the flipping Boondocks!

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Ya I too live in the boondocks we just call it riding LOL Seriously I have a 10yr old son and some of the slang makes me laugh.I did know what boondocking was though.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Revrnd - I think the son is called " down on the boardwalk "
lol, jk hope you find it.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
It's amazing what you dig up when you are bored. The question was asked back in 2002 but I figured I would add to it. We all kinda know what boondocking is or if someone says they live in the boonies well you kinda know they live in the middle of nowhere. Ever wonder just where the term boondocking came from ? Well for all of you that wished you had the time to look it up you can all relax as I have found out just where it came from. The term boondocking is derived from the word boondock. Now boondock is a loanword from Tagalog, the most commonly spoken dialect of the Philippines. In Tagalog, the actual word is bundok whick means " mountain ". Boondock entered into the english language about 1900 and is classified as military slang.
The Philippines endured a long occuapation by U.S. troops following the Spanish-American War. The U.S. met with guerrilla resistance and much of this fighting took place in the hills and jungle, or what the locals called bundok. It was said that if you were up in the mountains you in the middle of nowhere special you were boondocking.
So now you can spend your summer sitting by the tv just waiting for this term to come up on Jeopardy

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Originally posted by rob7374@Jul 16 2004, 01:30 PM
So now you can spend your summer sitting by the tv just waiting for this term to come up on Jeopardy
lol :p :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts