Snowmobile World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so we just cleaned the carbs on our 94 polaris xlt and replaced the seats as it was flooding. We did a cold compression test and got about 110 on all of them. The air intake needle we just barely tightened and then turned 1.5 way out from there. This is a first for us though so I am hoping it is something silly with the way we have the valves set or something. We bought a new fuel filter but have not yet put it on. What is happening now is that it wants to start until it floods itself out again. When my husband unscrews the crankcase bolts decent looking gas comes out of only the middle and right hole nothing comes out of the left. I am hoping that it is just something very simple but I sure wish I knew what I was doing so I could work on it while he is at work. Any advise?

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
check the choke seats to make sure they are closing.. they sometimes get rust or debris in there and dont close properly, making it flood.. or that the cables are actaully releasing and letting them close. Could be one of them rusted in the wire casing, and when you opened the choke, it stayed open.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
check the choke seats to make sure they are closing.. they sometimes get rust or debris in there and dont close properly, making it flood.. or that the cables are actaully releasing and letting them close. Could be one of them rusted in the wire casing, and when you opened the choke, it stayed open.[/b]
Will do thank you!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Ok, so we just cleaned the carbs on our 94 polaris xlt and replaced the seats as it was flooding. We did a cold compression test and got about 110 on all of them. The air intake needle we just barely tightened and then turned 1.5 way out from there. This is a first for us though so I am hoping it is something silly with the way we have the valves set or something. We bought a new fuel filter but have not yet put it on. What is happening now is that it wants to start until it floods itself out again. When my husband unscrews the crankcase bolts decent looking gas comes out of only the middle and right hole nothing comes out of the left. I am hoping that it is just something very simple but I sure wish I knew what I was doing so I could work on it while he is at work. Any advise?[/b]
Flooding how ? you see it coming out ,sticky floats use a ruller mm. check stock setting. put the ruller even with main jet and on the carb base were gasket goes, thats your base.110 on compresion on cylinders sound to low sould be like in the 140 150 range. and loosing crank bolts MAY cause you to have leaks and leaks cause siezure. make shure your air screws are set to stock turns out.screw them in all the way very litly till they stop (DO NOT USE FORCE will damage) screw air screw out to stock setting. on the outher side of carb is the idle screw loosen up till it is off the slide in there then turn it in till it hits slide then 2 turns past that and go from there. start sled up,fine tunning mite be needed on air screws to get max rpm idle. then from there use your idle screw if you have to get stock idle. check your plugs for proper tan burn( air screw turn out to lean and in for rich check on that i mite be wrong on the in or out im on cloud 9 rite now) Dave from Madison wi.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Flooding how ? you see it coming out ,sticky floats use a ruller mm. check stock setting. put the ruller even with main jet and on the carb base were gasket goes, thats your base.110 on compresion on cylinders sound to low sould be like in the 140 150 range. and loosing crank bolts MAY cause you to have leaks and leaks cause siezure. make shure your air screws are set to stock turns out.screw them in all the way very litly till they stop (DO NOT USE FORCE will damage) screw air screw out to stock setting. on the outher side of carb is the idle screw loosen up till it is off the slide in there then turn it in till it hits slide then 2 turns past that and go from there. start sled up,fine tunning mite be needed on air screws to get max rpm idle. then from there use your idle screw if you have to get stock idle. check your plugs for proper tan burn( air screw turn out to lean and in for rich check on that i mite be wrong on the in or out im on cloud 9 rite now) Dave from Madison wi.[/b]
You wont see 140-150 in a stock xlt. 110 is lots to run properly. Crash Dummy the bolts she is talking about are the drain bolts on the crankcase. Make sure the plates that hold the needles down in the slide are seated flat against the bottom of the slide, i had one come up on me when i was reinstalling and therefore it would not seal the needle all the way causing a massive flood of fuel. An yeah definatly check the choke plungers.

·
Registered
193 Posts
You wont see 140-150 in a stock xlt. 110 is lots to run properly. Crash Dummy the bolts she is talking about are the drain bolts on the crankcase. Make sure the plates that hold the needles down in the slide are seated flat against the bottom of the slide, i had one come up on me when i was reinstalling and therefore it would not seal the needle all the way causing a massive flood of fuel. An yeah definatly check the choke plungers.[/b]
oooooooooooooooooo.110 thats it wow, my cuyuna 440 has 146,and my mxz has about 156, is there drains on all engines,Crash dummy

·
Registered
593 Posts
oooooooooooooooooo.110 thats it wow, my cuyuna 440 has 146,and my mxz has about 156, is there drains on all engines,Crash dummy[/b]

I don't think all motors have drains, i know most if not all polaris's do. In a fresh rebuild on that xlt they should see 125 psi give or take 5 or so for different guages, some are less accurate than others. But 110 is lots to have a well running engine, as long as they are all within a about 5 psi of each other.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Which cylinder drives the fuel pump on the XLT? Right side? I'm thinking faulty fuel pump perhaps. A cracked or perforated pump diaphragm can cause the problem you're having.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I checked the plate that holds the floats and they all are very straight and even. I rebuilt the fuel pump tonight so I know it's not that. Unfortunatly I really don't know how to check the choke cables or plungers too well but I do know what you are saying. Hubbi and I have decided after he has gotten no sleep in the last two days with working :whatever: that we are just going to tow the thing to our local machine head mechanic. He is a wonderful man and said he wouldn't charge much to help us out. I will update and tell everyone what it turned out to be. Thanks for all the help!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts