Snowmobile World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I watched the ski-doo 2003 promo video about a week and half ago, and I was shocked that they have no mention of the MXZ trail/sport/adrenaline models.  They highlight every other 2003 model, even the Renegade, but totally leave out the regular MXZ.
I brushed it off, until today.
Today I went to see all the new sleds in Duluth, as the Ski-doo tour stopped there today.
I did not see a Mach Z.  They left it on the truck or something.  What the heck?
Did Valcourt lay off the marketing department or something?  These are not mistakes typical of a major corporation.
But I got to sit on the Rev.  Weird.  Different.  I'd love to actually ride it.  Sitting on it, though, I have two complaints.  First, when I steered all the way, the end of the handlebar hits me in the leg about a third of the way between the knee and hip.  And I'm under 5'7".  Anyone taller would really have problems.  Granted, I was just sitting there steering, like if you were turning a sharp circle at 3mph.  When I slid my butt over and leaned and steered sharp then my leg was out of the way, but then my fist was in my crotch.  I would not ride that sled without at least 3" riser blocks.  Maybe the grips could be 6" higher.
My second complaint is the windshield.  Seemed so flimsy.  And falling apart.  Sure these sleds have been touring the country, but I'm sure a few thousand miles of trails and ditchbanging is much more abusive than getting wheeled on and off a truck 125 times across the U.S.  Also, that windshield is in the way when it's attached to the handlebars like that.  It's intrusive and in-your-face.  It's distracting.  I realized how stupid this type of windshield is last weekend when I tipped my li'l old Phazer over and broke the windshield off.  Immediately upon going again I realized that that windshield had been in my way the whole time.  I enjoyed riding the piece of crap a whole lot more without the windshield.  I hoped the REV windshield would have better postioning to avoid this, but it still seems distracting.
Shoot, baby's crying.

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
performancex,
 you might have struck on something there about the windshield, the ski-doo pro sleds had hood mounted shields. if we were all to go out and sit on our sleds right now in the garage in a turning position, then imagine with the rider 2-3 inches closer to the front and the windshield 2-3 closer ? that is close. oh well ski-doo has worked their way through worse i'm sure and along with a total redesign there will be more rat traps in the dark.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
If you look at the shots of the REV in the Spring Fever brochure, the windshield sure looks a lot higher than on a ZX chassis. I never noticed it when I was sitting on it. I'm not making excuses for the design of the hood/windshield (which I personally don't like)but maybe the windshield has to be this high to offer some wind protection.

I don't wear a leather suit, just a 'doo nylon racer jacket (rainbow colours) & pants, with sweat pants underneath. When it gets really cold, down in the -20s Celcius, I'll put on a pair of polypropylene long undies. On the F, S & ZX chassis sleds I've owned, the cold hasn't been a problem. What is it going to be like riding in northern Manitoba, Minnesota or Ontario when the temps start to dip down in to brass monkey territory?
There doesn't appear to be much protection for the legs & knees.

Ski-doo would have to show me a video of a dummy on a REV in a wind tunnel and someone with a smoke wand to convince me that the rider is going to be protected from the cold.

I have to almost raise my hand above my head in front of me to feel the air off the windshield on my MXZ.

Also, the one brochure shows a REV with mirrors on it. They've got them mounted on the windhield!!

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
I just sent an email to Ski-doo thru their website. It basically was my 2 posts commenting on what I didn't like about the REV chassis. If everyone who isn't impressed with the direction Ski-doo is taking with the design of the REV sent an email, maybe they would take these comments into consideration for the redesign of of the Legend & the rest of the ZX chassis.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thats a great idea revrnd, Ski-doo should know how were feeling.  The Rev may be fine for trail riding but out here in the West we like a sled that will climb to the top of the Rockies.  It would be nice to have half of the engineering that went into the Rev be put into the Summit and get an unbelievable mountain sled insead of the problems and updates that plagued the 800 this year.  My dealer has been great, his help and expertise made all the problems bearable but the boys in Quebec should be ashamed for releasing the sled with all its problems.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
If we let them know what we think about the styling & design of the REV, maybe they will think twice about getting too radical when they replace the ZX chassis or freshen the body work. Can you imagine the reaction from all the moms & pops out there if the GT or Legend looked like the REV?

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I saw the 03 machz at the motorhead show last week(show sucked big but thats another story)In my opinion it's one of the better lookin machs they have had.Basically all black with some red graphics with a little flame action thrown in.They had a few zx mxz's there as well with the new 600ho and the new fan.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Pinnerx, I don't even know if it will be a great sled  for "groomed" trail riding. I sort of felt hunched over sitting on it. I saw the video too and I've never seen moguls as big as the ones they were riding over.

Back in '00 I sat on an MXZ w/ the X pkg. I wasn't impressed with the straight bars it had and that's what the REV I was sitting on felt like.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I sat on the REV  last week.  After seeing it in person I think the machine is a ton better looking than on paper.  I did not like the style of the handlebar or the windshield.  They should have used 02 mxzx handlebars.  I will bet that cobra or some other aftermarket company will come out with a windshield that is similar to the mod sled.  Then mount some colored handguards on it, and I think it would be about right.  Also ski-doo changed the looks of the front bellypan and rear black tunnel thing on the X.  To make it look diff. from the sport models they are putting a yellow on those parts of the sled.  Helps the looks a bunch too.  I will be going to the spring fever tour the 15th to check the entire line.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
2tone800X, good idea about the windshield. You'd better send an email to Cobra.

How come Yamaha & Arctic Cat USED to have sleds with windshields mounted on the handlebars?

I remember riding with a chap who had a Wildcat. There was no stiffener rib in the stampings that attached the windshield to the bars. One of the stampings broke, so he twisted the whole thing off and left the windshield assembly at a gas station and we picked it up the next day. Boy was that design lousy. It was brand new and had hardly been ridden.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts