Snowmobile World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I was wondering if someone could tell me what this "yellow capped thing" is on my 1999 Mach Z 809cc? It is located in the crankcase below and to the side of the PTO cylinder. Is there supposed to be something connected there? I don't recall removing anything from there nor do I see any extra lines. Any ideas? thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
<div align="center">oiler tube for end bearing not used in some moters or type of bearing</div>
Hey guys, I was wondering if someone could tell me what this "yellow capped thing" is on my 1999 Mach Z 809cc? It is located in the crankcase below and to the side of the PTO cylinder. Is there supposed to be something connected there? I don't recall removing anything from there nor do I see any extra lines. Any ideas? thanks.[/b]

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
That's a cap for the Isolflex grease fill done by Rotax at final engine assembly. Best to remove it and stuff a pipe cleaner down it then draw it out and see condition of grease. Black and smelling of gas means the inside crank seal has expired. Gray with black debris means a failed belt has comprimized the external seal. White to gray is OK. You might want to consider venting it using 12" of fuel line with a gas filter mounted on the top side tye rapped to the frame. When utilizing some after-market clutch kits and belts the added heat on the PTO side causes the Isoflex grease to expand and force the seals out. Venting the cavity allows you to add 20CCs of fresh Isoflex to the reservoir and visualy monitor the condition of the PTO lube.

[attachment=39285:pTO_vent.JPG]

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
<div align="center">what your saying makes sence.but i have seen an oil injection tube going to that tube not on a doo but on 01 pro x brothers sled. </div>
That's a cap for the Isolflex grease fill done by Rotax at final engine assembly. Best to remove it and stuff a pipe cleaner down it then draw it out and see condition of grease. Black and smelling of gas means the inside crank seal has expired. Gray with black debris means a failed belt has comprimized the external seal. White to gray is OK. You might want to consider venting it using 12" of fuel line with a gas filter mounted on the top side tye rapped to the frame. When utilizing some after-market clutch kits and belts the added heat on the PTO side causes the Isoflex grease to expand and force the seals out. Venting the cavity allows you to add 20CCs of fresh Isoflex to the reservoir and visualy monitor the condition of the PTO lube.

[attachment=39285:pTO_vent.JPG][/b]

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Inject about 10cc of isoflex in it and do like thumbdoctor said with the tube, it will suck the grease in and out as the motor heats and cools. I always inject 10cc's every 2500/3000 miles for insurance.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

[attachment=39285:pTO_vent.JPG][/b]

I understand what your saying there but I have a few of questions. Question the first, if I was to add this tube, does it really need extra Isoflex? I would figure that by offering an extra reservoir "the tube" this would give a place for the Isoflex to expand to..thus preventing the pushing out of the seal. However if you fill the tube up, are not again suseptible to the expansion leading to the pushing out of the seal? Question the second, if I was to install this tube would I be using the tube to add the extra 20cc of IsoFlex? Last question, is there any risk in just leaving it as is with the yellow cap and thats all? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Re read my answer and decide whether the current grease fill is in good condition before doing anything. If the inside seal has already failed, no amount of additional Isoflex will prolong the life of the PTO bearings. The vent helps when PTO temperature is high by permitting the additional grease to expand without creating excessive pressure in the cavity. Newer Rotax caps have a small hole in them to vent but usualy leak grease all over the PTO side of the motor.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the reply TD. So I had the bottom end redone and it was refilled with new Isoflex. All seals and bearings were changed also. So, in this case is now the time to add the hose or will it be more important further down the road, lets say 2K on the new engine? I'm seeing the additional tube as providing a means to monitor teh condition of the seals...therefore preventing blowing a seal and crank, is this a correct analysis? Any repsonse for my previous posts questions? Thanks again for the input, much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Thanks for the reply TD. So I had the bottom end redone and it was refilled with new Isoflex. All seals and bearings were changed also. So, in this case is now the time to add the hose or will it be more important further down the road, lets say 2K on the new engine? I'm seeing the additional tube as providing a means to monitor teh condition of the seals...therefore preventing blowing a seal and crank, is this a correct analysis? Any repsonse for my previous posts questions? Thanks again for the input, much appreciated.[/b]
Since the bottom end is new and the correct amount of Isoflex is in there. I would install the vent tube and add 10CCs of grease every year as Mikadoo recommends.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Simply put just do it hey?? Alright good advice thanks for the assitance TD.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What if the pipe cleaner shows light brown with no black particles? Is this good or bad?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.