Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently acquired a new to me Polaris. The problem is I am not sure what this is.... I know it has a 600 VES motor in it, Fox suspension. I was told it originally had a 500 VES in it and was replaced by the 600 VES Not sure if it is a 1999 or a 2000. Would this be an Edge or an evolved? The serial number witch if anyone can figure out how to decode it is...... 4XANX4C53YB084229

Attachments

·
Registered
258 Posts
i believe its a 2000 and the body im sure is a edge.....im almost sure but id wait to get more replys....lol

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Its an Edge and if it had a 500 before its a 2001 XC 500SP with a 600

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
That clear tank might indicate that it's a 99 race sled. Was thinking those were all 440's? You can check the rear suspension to be sure. The 99 is the only one with a coil over rear shock. If so, that suspension is pretty much all by itself with very little parts interchangeability with later Edges. There was also a pre production run of EDGE XC 600 w/VES in 2000 - but thinking those had black fuel tanks?

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
But the 440 99 was called XCR 440 and not sure on the 2000 though,ProX 440 name was 1st used for 2001

those decals look like 01 XC sp BUT not quite,something fishy about the bleu and checkers

Clear tank could be a swap

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After calling several Polaris dealers and getting the serial number right we found it to be a 2000 XC SP 440 Race Sled. It was “converted” by a Polaris dealer here in Vermont to a 600 VES.

Now the next question is I wanted to put reverse into this sled but Polaris has no listing for a XC SP 440 kit, Is there a difference between a XC SP 440 and a XC SP 600 in 2000 as far as drive train goes that this would not work?

·
Registered
258 Posts
dang im good!!...lol...j/k......glad you figured it out if you ever decide to name her a good one would be heintz 57....hehe :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
If that wasn't a race sled, you can generally say an Edge is an Edge. Almost total parts interchangability between any of them. Because it is a race sled, I suppose there's a chance it may have had something else morphed in there for one reason or another. Because of that, thinking the only way to know for sure is likely the center to center distances from shaft to shaft. Compare that distance to Edge, if it's a match, any Edge reverse kit will fit.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, I finally started tearing the sled apart so that I can put a new track on witch I choose the Camoplast RipSaw 1.25” (ebay for $320.00 new). The distance between the two shafts inside the chain case is 8”. I could take a picture of it if that would help figure this out I would hate to put it all back together just to rip it back apart to put a reverse kit in it later.

Also it has Fox Shocks all the way around the sled........ Is there anyway to “test” them to see if I need to have them Rebuilt/Charged?

Thanks again for everyone's input on this. The only other sled I have owned and worked on was a 1987 Polaris Indy 400, this sled is a bit different ....lol

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
rebuild them every season especially FOX shox

·
Registered
526 Posts
It looks like an '01 to me. The EDGE chassis didnt come out on production sleds until '01. A friend of mine has an '00 600 XC SP and its in the Gen2 chassis, so that sled has to be an '01.
One easy way to tell if its a 440 is to look at the serial number on the tunnel. If its all Xs, it was originally a 440 race sled.
About rebuilding the Fox shocks every year, thats not really neccesary. Ive never rebuilt my Fox shocks and 7 years later they still work fine. The average trail rider will never notice the difference from new shocks to worn shocks.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
If that wasn't a race sled, you can generally say an Edge is an Edge. Almost total parts interchangability between any of them. Because it is a race sled, I suppose there's a chance it may have had something else morphed in there for one reason or another. Because of that, thinking the only way to know for sure is likely the center to center distances from shaft to shaft. Compare that distance to Edge, if it's a match, any Edge reverse kit will fit.[/b]
going off the beginning of this, the 99 and 00 race xcr 440's are just and edge chassis with more renforcements. the parts are all interchangible with a edge. the 01 prox is the first year is change, they have square tube trailing arms like and edge but they are shorter and the rear suspension was changes, in 02 the stronger trailing arms came out and the rear suspension are beefed up fomr the 01. just a little for everyone to know about poo race sleds.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Does anyone know what the stock gears/chain would be on a 600 XC SP edge? I just wanted to make sure they changed them over from the 440 gears. Thanks

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
<<<the parts are all interchangible with a edge>>>

For the book, that may not be true. I know for a fact the 99 ran a coil over shock in place of the torsion springs in the rear of the skid. Was thinking the 00 was different too, just not what set it apart from the others. I know that the IFS springs were not the semi generic progressives that the Edge chassis generally ran also. They ran the dual rate setup. As far as body/tunnel/bulkhead you could be right. Dunno. Thought it might be a good idea to confirm the chaincase was normal production prior to laying down the money for reverse kit, then finding out his race sled had something different. If you want to tell him that you know the later Edge reverse kit will fit this sled, go for it.....

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
<<<the parts are all interchangible with a edge>>>

For the book, that may not be true. I know for a fact the 99 ran a coil over shock in place of the torsion springs in the rear of the skid. Was thinking the 00 was different too, just not what set it apart from the others. I know that the IFS springs were not the semi generic progressives that the Edge chassis generally ran also. They ran the dual rate setup. As far as body/tunnel/bulkhead you could be right. Dunno. Thought it might be a good idea to confirm the chaincase was normal production prior to laying down the money for reverse kit, then finding out his race sled had something different. If you want to tell him that you know the later Edge reverse kit will fit this sled, go for it.....[/b]
i was not talking about the springs at all i was just talking about the chassis its self. im not sure on the springs in it but the geometry on the front suspension is the same as the edge and the rear suspension has the same geometry as the edge. the 99 was a prototype sled and im sure a few things are different from the 99 to the 01 full production edge (600 edge were limited build in 00) but for the most part they are the same and parts and be swaped.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
going off the beginning of this, the 99 and 00 race xcr 440's are just and edge chassis with more renforcements. the parts are all interchangible with a edge. the 01 prox is the first year is change, they have square tube trailing arms like and edge but they are shorter and the rear suspension was changes, in 02 the stronger trailing arms came out and the rear suspension are beefed up fomr the 01. just a little for everyone to know about poo race sleds.[/b]
theres some questionable info here. the edge and gen2 are not alike at all. arent the xcrs all gen2? pretty sure all the prox chassis have oval shaped tapered moly trailing arms.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
The 99 race sleds were actually first run prototype in the new Edge chassis. Some know them as an XCR but that does create a lot of confusion because everybody knows that the XCRs are GenII w/tripple EXCEPT the 99 in the Aggressive chassis. Anyway, 99 race sled works pretty good for most. Most everyone knows what you are talking about then anyway. Maybe somebody can help here, but I remember the 00 race sled as an XCF for the blower motored version, but don't remember what the liquid version was called? Was it XC 440 ? Or am I all wet there? 01 was the first Pro X

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
theres some questionable info here. the edge and gen2 are not alike at all. arent the xcrs all gen2? pretty sure all the prox chassis have oval shaped tapered moly trailing arms.[/b]
the first prox's did not have those arms. they had the same length arms just in a square tube forum in 01 only, 02 the better arms came out.

The 99 race sleds were actually first run prototype in the new Edge chassis. Some know them as an XCR but that does create a lot of confusion because everybody knows that the XCRs are GenII w/tripple EXCEPT the 99 in the Aggressive chassis. Anyway, 99 race sled works pretty good for most. Most everyone knows what you are talking about then anyway. Maybe somebody can help here, but I remember the 00 race sled as an XCF for the blower motored version, but don't remember what the liquid version was called? Was it XC 440 ? Or am I all wet there? 01 was the first Pro X[/b]
they were all xcr 440's until 01 when the prox came out. the xcf would be like the prox 440 fan, it was just the race sled with a 440 fan motor. and in 99 there was an gen2 and an edge race sled, the edge came out and a proto race sled and there was not many built.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Using polarisman.com as a reference here, in '99 they show both the XCR440 AND XCF in a GenII chassis (you were right Tifa). For '00 polarisman lists neither, but that doesn't mean they weren't around.

We KNOW there were Edge based race chassis in both 99 and 00, so the question remains what these sleds were called. Knowing Polaris, I now doubt seriously that they were XCRs.

We know about the early 00 Edge 600VES, and the 01 Pro X

1 - 20 of 41 Posts