Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are you guy’s snocross fans? Or do you like the head spin of the oval ice track? Or is hill climbing or cross county your favorite?

I like them all but I enjoy snocross the most. Its growing big time in popularity, but it still does not attract the crowds the oval track would gather in the late 70s.

How about NASCAR? Any fans here?

You got too like Tony Stewart

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I love any kind of sled racing, and also i am a big nascar fan, an Earnhardt fan till death, but now rooting on Dale Jr of course.
 I also like tony stewarts style and he seems like a cool guy.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I love snowcross ,have yet to see a hill climb or ice oval in person but think snowcross is still better. nascar is cool dale was the man but a sat night short track is the best hope to make the oxford 250 this year my friend run`s a prostock and if he goes I`am in   jeff in nh

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Always went to the ovals in Peterborough Ontario. I've been going to Eganville since the mid-80s, but have missed the last 2 winters.

Made it to the Sno-X @ Kawartha Downs in Peterborough this year.

I'm a Terry Labonte fan since the Piedmont days.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Snowcross is probably my favorite but of coure like any type of snowmobile racing.  I've entered in a few local drag races and had a blast.  I also try to make it to the local dirt track races every weekend in the summer.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I like crosscountry race like the challenge Kanada or "raid des brave". 2000+kms on backroads and lakes with stock sleds. It determines the best all around sled IMO. Powder, lakes, bumps, hills and a range of weather condition is the best test of endurance both for sled and rider.

·
Registered
229 Posts
All forms of snowmobile racing, but I'm partial to the closed course type formats, especially drag racing. It requires the most perfection of all. With 6 seconds or less per run, everything has to be perfect, the sled, the driver,and their luck. Other forms allow you time to overcome mistakes and still win but not in drag racing. Outside of sled racing, I would have to favor sprint car racing like The World of Outlaws when they come to West Fargo, ND.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I really like snowcross. I used to race motocross and raced a full season of snocross this past winter and had a blast. The past couple years I had been racing various terrain races and that was alot more fun but it is becoming harder to find a good circuit for that type of racing and the manufactures aren't throwing alot of support that way lately.
From the spectator viewpoint I have always been partial to snocross because of the tight racing and big air but from a racer view I enjoy terrain racing. Basically the terrain racing is a very fast and challenging trail ride.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
The drags are over too fast. Seems to be a money race a lot of the time (He who spends the most money wins). Enduro's on closed course ovals too long. Enjoy looking over the results of the cross country runs, but they aren't much of a spectator sport. It would be a toss up, as a spectator from my standpoint, between the 3 lap oval sprints (don't know why they aren't more popular here in Mich.) and the MX style action. These races are short enough to maintain excitement from start to finish, and also long enough so that a driver can make the difference, thus leveling the field for everyone as best possible. I find NASCAR boring, would rather be outside doing something (like watching the grass grow). Afternoons in front of a TV during good weather not appealing to me at all.

My 2c
Retired sprint guy
(too old,too fat)  

AL

·
Registered
47 Posts
i prefer snocross and hill climbs, so my favorite races are hillcross cause you get the best of both worlds.  but i love watching anything that has to do with sleds.  

in nascar #18 bobby labonte ever since he won the busch series championship

·
Registered
310 Posts
I love snocross, hillclimbs are nice too, but i have not seen an x-country race yet, but i want to.  i bet those would be awesome.

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
sno-cross is really cool but i used to race the oval when i was a kid and like that too.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Paul: what kind of sleds did you race?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Snocross is awesome.  I've been to Gaylord the past three years for the pro races and a few small ones around MI. I plan to try my hand at it this season, at least one race.
I think cross country racing would be fun too. I've never been to one, but it sounds fun. I wouldn't mind doing that this year too, but I'll probably have to go up to the UP or to WI. Does anyone know of any in MI?

Z

·
0 Posts
Michahicks,  said that Drags are over to quick,  and that is true,  but,  what I prefer!     I mean, Snowcross, you can make a few mistakes and still have a chance to regain the lead.   If your holeshot is off,  you still have a few laps to catch back up.   Ovals,  Same Deal,  If you and your sled lasts,  it's anybody's game and not always,  does the fastest Sled win.      

But now let's talk drags.   Shootout at the OK Coral!  You work your A$$ off making your sled the best it can be,  you assert every bit of knowledge you can acquire,   you spend big bucks to get your sled where you want it to be,   and then you have 4 or 5 seconds to prove yourself.  On the line,  you snooze,  you lose.  No second lap to catch back up.  It's not the I-500,  where if you blow a belt,  etc,  you have time to pit,  change it and still have a chance to win.

Usually around 5 seconds.  That's it.   No room for error.  Zip,  Nada.   Either you and your sled are the best and you take the home the trophy or sorry about your luck Charlie.   To me,  this is where the best of the best shine.

Understand,  I am not discrediting these other types of racing,  because,  at 45 years old,   I probably couldn't hang on to a Sno-Cross Sled as well as the young guys for a number of laps.    And It would be pretty tough,  if not impossible for me to run the I-500  with the 20 to 30 something crowd.  

But to tune the Drag Sled,  Cut a mean Reaction time on the lights and Hang On for 5 seconds,  is still something that I can do with the youngsters!  

Ok, sorry,  a simple answer to your question,  I like Drag Racing!

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
I would have to go with ZMachMan on this one, maybe not to his extream (red rocket).  

But i like the friendly lake or field drag race, i like it even more when i win  

1 - 20 of 29 Posts