Snowmobile World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 01 mxz 700 Adrenline and i'm thinking of studing it. It has a factory track not sure on what lug size. After two seaons of riding the track lugs are getting round on the top edges, 1,600 miles. The machine will not hook up. well not with out sacraficing corning and ride quality. I need to know what length studs I need And how many. I do mostly ditch/trail riding. I would like to keep all the top end possible and prolong the life of the track as long as I can. Also I'm not sure on what pattern to use and if I need tunnel protectors.
    Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
269 Posts
your machine should already have tunnel protectors in it but if not then yes you should have them before adding studs, as far as size goes, you should measure your track for lug height by measuring from the back of the track to the top of the lug...your studs should stick above the lug no more than 1/4 inch tops, so just by the studs that will give you that height, How many, well i have a 700 triple SX Yamaha and i run 144,and 96(down the center) in my old XLT 600, i would not run any less than 144 in your sled, as far as what pattern i like to keep them down the center but some people like to run some on the outer belt as well...i feel that if you ride hard that the outer belt will tear out. which studs...well that all depends on how much you want to spend...i run extreme max studs from jumpstartracing.com...they sell stainless carbide tip studs with backer and nut for $0.99 each...you won't ever do better than that...they seem to hold up as well i have about 6-700 miles on mine and they look great...hope this helps...my 2 cents

oneski

·
Registered
14 Posts
Your MXZ needs bulk head protectors in it. It's a job to put them in but it needs them . There about $45to$55. I would run 144 1.175 woody golddiggers 60 degree with plastic backers all down the middle.

·
Registered
625 Posts
If your sled has the .88" track, I would run one inch studs, one per horsepower is a good rule of thumb so about 120 minimum, but 144 would be the most popular choice, anymore is a waste for trail riding. Dont forget you will probably need about 6" of carbide so it does not push through the corners after studding. Dont forget the tunnel protectors!

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
144 1 inch woodys gold diggers with the 60 degree tip, if it has the stock .880 lug track.you will need tunnel protectors in the rearmost portion of the coolers.and like slarson said also will need at least 6 inch carbides,which is what I ran last year but I prefer the 8 inch that my other sled has so both will be on the 8's this year.one thing to consider is if your in snow not hard pack a 1.25 lug track will work better than studs for hooking up.loss on topend of my 00 700 was around 5 mph with studs.as for the bulk head protectors I am not running any nor was it on the to do list from doo in 00 for studding.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts