Snowmobile World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have always used regular gas in my 89 340 s.s and was recently told that i should be using the highest rated octane at the pump. Any comments? What are the pro's and con's?

Seabass

·
1,327 Posts
unless you've specifically modified the engine and increased the compression ratio of the motor, there is absolutely no benefit to higher octane fuel.

you can use it, but you'll probably lose a bit of performance as the sled isn't designed to burn it, and you'll DEFINITELY be losing money every time you fill up.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
like Dpaige said run the reg gas

·
Registered
657 Posts
Typically the older engines all wanted regular gas (from what I've observed). But it depends on your sled. The manual, gas cap, and dealer for my 900 Fusion stated a recommendation of 91 octane. So that's what I burn. I tried regular once (needed enough gas to get to the station), and it was the same as if I had bad plugs in and the engine couldn't fire properly. However, we have a good system here for supreme gas. On certain days, it's only 3 cents more than regular, you get triple points anytime, and double gas coupons anytime. So it ends up being 6 cents per litre cheaper than regular to pump supreme in my snowmobile instead of regular. Go figure :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Typically, the quality of high octane available on the trail is terrible becasue its old so run the gas they sell the most of - regular.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts