Snowmobile World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought A ZR900, not sure what oil to use, Hearing allot of bad news about APV.... Was that just the older stuff with problems, or is the new as bad.

·
Coming 2 a Trail near You
2,267 Posts
I think that was when APV first came out. I am pretty sure Cat recommends synthetic oil for the machine. I knew a guy riding a 600 EFI pantera with APV and no complaints in 1500 miles, he ran all synthetic as the dealer recommended. I use it as well. I think its worth the extra $$$

·
Registered
91 Posts
scratchinmyass,

It was the early formulated APV oil(2001) oil that there were so many nightmare stories about. AC reformulated the APV oil for 02. I ran the 02 APV oil in my 02 800CC for 1900 miles last season and had no troubles with sticky valves. Just for the heck of it, I decided to check them and they were as free as they were when the sled was new. I definitely will be running the APV oil in my F7. Just my .02.
-JPL

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I ran Cat's newest and greatest APV oil for a couple of hundred miles or so until I couldn't stand the valves sticking any more.
Switched to regular Amsoil with no problems and clean valves after 2000 plus miles. The added bonus is that its way less expensive than A/C's oil. 02 ZR-800cce carb.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so which is it, How can JPL have such good luck with APV and Sled Head have such bad luck, I DON"T UNDERSTAND!! Or is it that Sled Head idles it where ever he goes. I bought one gallon of it, I will try the APV since I already paid for it. Thanks guys!!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Here are a few suggestions since I have tested some of these oils. First off the difffernce in oil performance of different riders is usually the Jetting on the sled, and how hard it is ridden. It has nothing to do with the oil, unless your using way too much! If the sled is jetted close and your running 40 to 50:1, then you willl really like the Amsoil Race 2000 or Klotz TCW3 Injector oil. The #1 reason I would NOT run ANY factory oil is that I ride behind Cats and Polaris all the time on the trails and the oils really stink! The smell is terrible. Both Amsoil and Klotz are world class oils. Be kind to those that ride behind you......

·
Registered
133 Posts
I switched from dino oil to syn a few years ago and I noticed that my sno gear didn't smell as bad as it used to. The wife lets me hang my gear in the house again. ;) It does burn cleaner. Now as far as valves sticking I am starting to think that if you are running syn and still having valves sticking it may just be due to too much oil getting burned or riding style. I am going to try the ams racing syn and see how it works. I am going to try it also in my FICHT motor as it needs the best oil available to minimize carb build up.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Some type of synthetic would be my recomendation.

Amsoil is good.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
It was certainly not caused by idling or riding it too easy but could be related to the initial break in oil in the fuel and riding a little easier during that period. The smell from the A/C was horrible according to those riding behind me.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have a 97 ZR 580 EFI and was wondering which oil I should get from the Amsoil website. Just want to make sure I get the right kind. Thanks, I am interested to see/smell the difference.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Just the synthetic 2 cycle injector oil.

No need to run the racing oil, unless maybe your racing, or unless you really like the colour, or color (depending on where your from) :D

FishHog

·
Registered
404 Posts
we've been down this rode...how many times? run Amsoil, end of discussion! :doh:

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Originally posted by Lick'nOutaTheCatsDish@Oct 3 2002, 01:27 AM
we've been down this rode...how many times? run Amsoil, end of discussion! :doh:
:withstupid:

·
Registered
310 Posts
Originally posted by FishHog@Oct 3 2002, 05:40 PM
Just the synthetic 2 cycle injector oil.

No need to run the racing oil, unless maybe your racing, or unless you really like the colour, or color (depending on where your from) :D

FishHog
What if you race on the trails?? What is the difference between the regular synthetic and racing synthetic??

·
Registered
27 Posts
:cussing: :withstupid: DO NOT RUN AMSOIL IT IS JUNK, I have 1999 snopro and it makes it run like ####, alos the apv oil is ok but it carbons up bad, also my friend has had problems with Klotz carboning up, I really like TORCO, its kind of $$ but it kicks ###, and when run with high octane gas smells great, now some may say that its just how you set up the sled RE:jetting, clutching how hard you ride, but from a long trail ride, to a little snocross action and doing some mean powder riding i have never had a problem with TORCO. I also run it in my 2001 banshee, nice SWRules

1 - 17 of 17 Posts