Snowmobile World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i have a 99 arctic cat powder special i just really got into snowmobiling last year. should i sell my sled or keep it and do some mods to it??undefined

·
Registered
20 Posts
well i have a 99 arctic cat powder special i just really got into snowmobiling last year. should i sell my sled or keep it and do some mods to it??undefined[/b]
do you like the way it performs if you do keep it if not up grade to a skidoo lol :hallo1:

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
well i have a 99 arctic cat powder special i just really got into snowmobiling last year. should i sell my sled or keep it and do some mods to it??undefined[/b]
I only wish my first 2 sleds had been that nice. You couldn't have picked a better first sled as far as I'm concerned. Ride the hell out of it, really go for it and learn how to ride. There is so much skill to mountain and powder riding, you don't even know yet. Then when you wreck it or lose it down a ravine you'll be glad you didn't pay ten grand for your rig. Just remember when you're going for it that that's a 500 pound weight that will smother you if given the opportunity. No I would not do any mods to it, you're likely to just blow it up. Learn how to *properly* tune it, learn how to set up your clutching for your altitude (following the manufacturers chart) and what those changes do. It's important to know if any mods have already been done; if it's piped that totally changes the clutching. You shouldn't need to touch the carbs because it has altitude compensation, and if you try to modify the intake for more air it will just blow up the engine. Instead of mods, get a brand new Arctic Cat OEM belt and check your belt deflection setting, use quality oil and make sure your oiler is set properly, check your track tension and alignment, check your hyfax and idler wheels, run premium fuel, and then use the money you saved to take a wednesday off work and ride when you can have all the powder to yourself.

Really, I know I sound like a broken record with this but if you ride mountain you will wreck in spectacular fashion. You can't believe how many stupid ways there are to wreck. My wife and I have both come within just a few feet of losing a sled forever on 4 separate occasions in the last 2 years. That's not counting wrecks. There were many more wrecks. As a new rider you will make many more mistakes. The point is you don't buy a brand new car for a 16 year old unless you just have too much money. So if you have 10 grand burning a hole in your pocket then get a brand new Rev XP. Otherwise keep the kitty.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts