Snowmobile World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again all. I am just getting into restoring Snowmobiles too and I am defintely not a pro (Pretty far from it). I have had a passion for Snowmobiles since I was around 16 or so with my first sled which was a Moto-Ski Capri 1-Lunger. I was never able to afford the new sleds then. But now I can because you can get them cheap! It's nice to sit in a field of potential 60's and 70's Sleds and dream of days gone by when there were so many different manufacturers. Anyway, What should I use to make Aluminum Shine again on the tunnel? Also what can I use to bring the faded paint back to a better luster if any, besides new paint. Thanks!

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you want the chrome-like shine seen on some show sleds, you'll need to start with sandpaper and progressively work your way down in grits and compounds until you get the mirror shine. If you want something less than a mirror shine you can use any of the seemingly hundreds of metal polishes on the market. I use Mothers mag/aluminum polish and White Diamond. If you want clean but not shiny, you could use an acid type cleaner, available at most truck stops. I've used Aluma Clean.

Hoods can sometimes be buffed to bring the shine up. Most hoods back in the day were either gel coated fiberglass or solid color polycarbonate plastic. No manufacturer used painted hoods to the best of my knowledge. If gel coat has been sitting out in the weather for several years it's probably deteriorated to the point that no amount of buffing is going to bring it back. I have restored polycarbonate by sanding progressively down to 1000 grit and then buffing with plastic compound.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you want the chrome-like shine seen on some show sleds, you'll need to start with sandpaper and progressively work your way down in grits and compounds until you get the mirror shine. If you want something less than a mirror shine you can use any of the seemingly hundreds of metal polishes on the market. I use Mothers mag/aluminum polish and White Diamond. If you want clean but not shiny, you could use an acid type cleaner, available at most truck stops. I've used Aluma Clean.

Hoods can sometimes be buffed to bring the shine up. Most hoods back in the day were either gel coated fiberglass or solid color polycarbonate plastic. No manufacturer used painted hoods to the best of my knowledge. If gel coat has been sitting out in the weather for several years it's probably deteriorated to the point that no amount of buffing is going to bring it back. I have restored polycarbonate by sanding progressively down to 1000 grit and then buffing with plastic compound.[/b]
Thanks! I'll give the progressive Sanding thing a shot. Yah learn something new everyday!

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Mothers is good for the tunnel I would not use any type of sandpapar just keep on rubbing with a rag. And do not use sand paper on your hood try a color back wax on a small spot.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts