Snowmobile World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel they should build a big bore short stroke twin cylinder around 1200cc with a 10:1 comp ratio with 5 valves per cylinder and with dual overhead camshafts with variable valve timing, variable ignition timing and big throttle bodies and a high flow exaust. they also need a turbocharger. or a supercharger. the problem with a turbo is that you have to wait for it to spool up. the problem with a supercharger is that it takes power to make power. also a dry sump oiling system to keep weight down. there are also many little engine building tricks like forged rods and pistons with pin very close to the crown and a short skirt. it may be a bit more pricey but with a forced induction system you can make big power.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
What happened to the 1000cc Rotax V-Twin?

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
MXZ7

I allways thought a wankle would be good in a snowmobile.  They fire 3 times per rotation.  And they rev up really high.  That would be cool to see on the side of the sled.

1000cc ROTARY POWERED.

Rocketman.  Check your rearview mirrors.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
They need to put the 1500cc, 155hp 4-TEC 3 cylinder 4-stroke that they have in the Sea-Doo GTX 4-TEC. It is dry sump, and the size is not too much bigger the the 809 tripple.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Rotary engines don't like the cold or starting in it.I think the next few years are going to be very interesting in regards to
the manufacturers releasing new technology used elsewhere on sleds.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I forgot who made it, but a guy I work with has an older snowmobile with a rotary engine in it.  Don't know much else about it though

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
omc made the wankel sleds that I have seen.this was the project of olav aaen, I think.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Artic Cat in the mid-70's had a 300 Wankel powered machine. It was hard starting, AWFUL on fuel, as are the car rotarys, and not much power. Rotax has the ability to make almost whatever the market dictates. And thats the key. What the market dictates. Next few years will be VERY interesting.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Sachs actually made the motor you are refering to. Cat had 2 diff. sizes of it the 303 was the prefered one if maintained correctly to keep the rotor wipers free they made good power.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
I had an RX 7 and it rocked. The thought of the rotary engine in a sled isn't new.Mr. Wankle had a heck of an idea with that design.
A 4 cyl.4 stoke multi-valve DFI engine may be on the way sooner than you think.The way things are going with the clean air act and the EPA,everything will be 4 stroke.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Just a thought but with all the low end torque and grunt a 4 stoke can deliver, how is the drive system, espicially the belt going to handle it?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts