Snowmobile World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may still be able to get rid of my fizzer before it snows (yeah). What would you buy? A 02 RMK 800, 02 summit 800 or a 01 800 highmark (barely used). I have friends that ride polaris and ski doo, one always bashes the other, but I havn't ridden either. Honestly, have any of you ridden both. As some would say just pick a color or are there distinct diff. I live in the black hills, but it looks like I will be doing alot more mountain riding (snow willing) Do most of you prefer the 144 or 151 in. track? Personally, just sitting on it I like the ski doo better but I could prob. get used to an RMK. I would love to here about any prob. or dependability issues etc. Thanks everyone SWRules

·
Registered
791 Posts
I would flip a coin I think they are equally made but I have heard ski doo has had problems with the motors on the 800 and the DPM screwing up. And not the best warranty service but neither does Polaris my buddy just got his sled back today after the motor went in his 2002 500 xc sp It blew up overheated it towards the end of March.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I Do believe most snowmobile warranty issue problems are the dealers fault. So go with the one that has better service in your area.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Go with the sled that has the best dealer. It's miserable not having a decent dealer close by, even if you do your own wrenching. My close 'Doo dealer gave up the ghost this year and the nearest one is 60 miles away. 40 miles to the nearest Polaris dealer, 15 miles to the Cat dealer. All provide the same level of skill and service. I will be riding Cat next year, and the 'Doo will be going into backup duty.

I would drive the distance to the 'Doo or Poo dealer if their service was better than the Cat guys, but it isn't. It'll be my first Cat.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input guys. As far as power goes are these sleds about even. Whether I need it or not, if I'm spending the $ I like to buy the best. I know people at both dealerships, but neither have great service dept. As it is I drive 40 miles for Yamaha parts.

·
Registered
384 Posts
If your gonna shell out the bucks for a new sled,and are not sure what sled u want ,then i would ask your dealers to take u on a demo ride.....thats what i did last year,i could not decide between a summit or rmk..........the demo ride made all the difference!!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
2003 800 RMK 151 wins! Giving me the deal of a lifetime. The ski doo dealership here didn't want to deal. This should be a blast as soon as it snows. Anyone want to buy a 95 yamaha phazer longtrack in primo condition with many extras? And thanks for the advice guys. SWRules

·
Registered
791 Posts
Looks to me like you made the right decision.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the support on my decision guys. I can't confirm this but I understand we have about 14" in the hills so far. I may get to ride this beast this weekend. :devil:

·
Registered
539 Posts
Hay Fuzzy: I had a RMK and then went to a SkiDoo. The RMK rode smoother than the Doo and handles the same. The new 2003 Summit I just bought rides as smooth as my RMK did. The only reason I went to a Doo is because of the Dealer in my area. I did find that in going down hill and then turning up the Doo handles better. The RMK seemed to drift down hill to much for me. You will love the RMK, nice choice.... :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts