Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was just wondering what snowmobile i sould get so far im considering the 2008 mxz 550 x ($8,799 )with a 400 rebate and 350 in riding gear, the 2007 polaris 550 supersport (7,000) and the 2008 yamaha phazer rtx for (8,600) with 500 yamaha bucks i would just like to know what you would pick for these prices.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
At those prices I would probably go for the Phazer. However, if you're considering the Mxz for $8500 you should really consider a Polaris Shift. They're on the flor here in North Bay for 8200, have 120 hp, are liquid-cooled, and come in what is likely the best chassis currently available, other then the new Rev XP, perhaps. You can't go wrong.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
I know there are arguments for both sides of the conversation (polaris, Yamaha, Ski doo, Cat)

By theory is why settle for a 500 of 550 when for a few bucks more you can have a 600 or 700....

All I can say is stay away from the triples if you are looking used.... Past experience is they run like a rocket when they run....

Best advice is ride them all, then pick... it is your preference.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
If I were spending that kind of money, there is no way I'd be looking at a fan powered sled. Liquid just has too many advantages.

·
Registered
465 Posts
To tell you the truth, if my dad had not found a good price on a doo, he would have gone with the IQ Shift. There has been spectacular reviews of the sled, and to tell you something, Polaris makes a damn good snowmobile.
It's just your preference on what sled fits you and your riding style really
good luck with your purchases,
-Frank

·
Registered
629 Posts
I don’t think you can go wrong with any of the machines you listed, all I know is if I could do it again I would have bought a Yamaha.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
they are all good..

Rick :D

·
Premium Member
5,122 Posts
Why not throw an '06 or '07 500SS (new in box), which is a 600cc, into the list of choices? Very good deals to be had on one of those. Much less money than any of the other sleds listed.

I don't see how you can go wrong with any of them. Feel confident in choosing the one that suits you best.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Why not throw an '06 or '07 500SS (new in box), which is a 600cc, into the list of choices? Very good deals to be had on one of those. Much less money than any of the other sleds listed.

I don't see how you can go wrong with any of them. Feel confident in choosing the one that suits you best.[/b]
We bought a 07 500SS and that thing rocks! We bought it for the wife and she is a little affraid of it!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i still never made a decision but someone bought the phazer fx i was looking at... but me and my dad went to yamaha a week ago and i love the new phazer rtx has anyone ever drove one? any one have any other sugestions of snowmobiles they realy liked?

·
Registered
443 Posts
with that money go for the shift, check them out on their site or look up some reviews.
many mags have chosen that sled for best bang for the buck.
you may find 550's and the phazer to be alittle slow depending on your riding. 550=around 60hp phazer=80hp shift=120 :sly:

·
Registered
361 Posts
you should look at the left over sleds and you can get a great deal my step dad did that at the end of last year and pick up an 2007 ski-doo GTX Limted 600sdi for $7900 go for a left over liquid that are not as nosie when you ride them if not go for the 550 X great reliable fan engine

Attachments

·
Registered
903 Posts
i was just wondering what snowmobile i sould get so far im considering the 2008 mxz 550 x ($8,499 ) the 2007 polaris 550 supersport (7,000) and the 2007 yamaha phazer fx for (8,100) i would just like to know what you would pick for these prices.[/b]
Skip the Supersport. Old chassis, economical shocks, wannabe graphics, etc.

The Phazer FX is really nice. They have a few updates that should be done, but nothing serious. I know a cooling fan should be installed to prevent overheating as well as the tunnel panels to prevent icing. I don't know if they got the cold start issue sorted out. I'm sure one of the Yammi guys could give you a better idea of what needs to be done. The 4 stroke is a plus, but it isn't all that light anymore (08 RTX @ 489 lbs). $8,100 is a very good price though. Probably a tad faster than the others, but they all have top ends within a few mph.

I'd go for the 550X if you wanna spend the cash. Very good rebuildable shocks, ripsaw track, bulletproof motor, great chassis, etc.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
I'd go for the 550X if you wanna spend the cash. Very good rebuildable shocks, ripsaw track, bulletproof motor, great chassis, etc.[/b]
Just doesn't make sense at that price. Why buy a 550 when you can get double the hp for the same dollars?

·
Registered
28 Posts
2008 Fan is still 07 rev. Great little machine. Got my wife 550GSX 2006. I ride a 700. I find the 550 fun and easy but a little gutless. For that kind of dough you easily find a 500ss left over from last year. Lots more power and real dependable.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Just doesn't make sense at that price. Why buy a 550 when you can get double the hp for the same dollars?[/b]
Only out of those three sleds he's considering, I'd get the 550.

You're right. A Shift is a lot more sled than the 550, even though I like the REV better. My first choice would be a 500SS for that money though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
some of the prices changed abit and the reason the shift iq isn't there is becuase my parents dont want me on a 600 they dont even want me on a 500 but i talked them into it and im sure they wouldn't be to happy when they found out it has 120 hp but maybe with abit of convincing ill be riding a shift iq. but at the moment im leaning towards the phazer rtx has anyone ever actualy drove one not just sat on it or seen pictures of it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I rode a 1996 Formula SS last year as my sled. I rode the phazer and the seating position was sweet! But the motor was junk! I weigh a 120pounds and had it topped out at 120 Km/h! It doesn't have any balls out of the hole. It wasn't much fun with so little power. I would go for a leftover 500SS people rave about these. Lots of get-up and go with 105hp. That is clutched REALLY good from the factory and is reliable. Definatley the best chassis out there. I would definatley go for a liquid either way. I bought one myself but, have yet to ride it :inlove:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts