Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay. Here we go. Trying to decide what 2003 sled I should buy seeing my 2002 is junk. Front runner is the F7 Firecat but have also looked at the Renegade 800 from Ski-Doo. Waiting to see what Polaris is bringing out for twins, thinking 700 or 800 xc or do I stick with Cat. I never thought I would stray from Cat but after this year it is questionable. Too many probs for a new sled in a poor year. My blood runs green but i could get a transfusion possibly.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Go with the Skidoo Rev.  My dealer has driven it and he told me you can do a 90 degree turn at 60km.  He says its night and day better then the mxz zx.  The a-arm front suspention takes care of everything.  He also said that after driving this the ZX feels like a boat.  He was so impressed.  

I am buying one also.  THe new gauges and handlebars are just awsome.  The fit and finish is great also.  It has everything the F7 has except it sits you in the center giving you better control of the machine.   It is with out a dought the best handling sled on the market.  He also said that every minute riding it is so exciting and fun it just makes you want to ride forever.   I cant wait to ride one myself.

Take Care

·
Registered
442 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">.   It is with out a dought the best handling sled on the market.[/b][/quote]

this isn't a bash but how can you say that it is without a doubt the best handling sled on the market when hardly any people have ridden the rev and no one to my knowledge (except testers) have even had a chance to ride the F5 or F7 on the trail

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Go for the Gade fastcat.  Its a no compromise sled.  Great in the powder, on the trails and at the drag strip.

·
Registered
158 Posts
700 gade would be a good choice.Doo's had some fuel mileage problems on the 800's this year and seem to be struggling to fix it.There is not much power difference between the 7+8 this year but for 03 who knows?

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">this isn't a bash but how can you say that it is without a doubt the best handling sled on the market when hardly any people have ridden the rev and no one to my knowledge (except testers) have even had a chance to ride the F5 or F7 on the trail[/b][/quote]

I couldnt tell you personnaly but i have talked to my dealer about it and he told me he just got back from a 150km ride on the rev.  He said that its Night and day better then the ZX.  He said the A-Arm front suspention is amazing and can take anything.  But he said the best thing was that your sitting in the center of the sled and it is so easy to stand from that sitting position and ride.  Because it is so easy to shift weight.  I can agree with that because I sat on the rev and it feels amazing.  

Fact is that the F7 isnt as advanced as the Rev.  The F7 has everything Right including the neat engine that sits flat.  But the engine is penuts compared to the weight of the rider.  It doesnt matter what AC does as long as the rider is sitting at the back it will make out turning the Rev imposable.  Espesially since the Rev has the new Presison skis.  

Dont take my word for it go and try it like Im going to do.  Normally i dont like anything but the Mach but this sled has really got me.  So if it can make me talk about somthing other then the Mach I think everyone owes it to them self to check it out.  

Once you see the new Handle bars and electronic gauges with the little lights you will just want to buy it.  Its unreal (like riding a space ship.)  Im not selling my mach but i am buying a Rev and trading in on one of my other sleds..  

And thank god doo didnt put digital gauges on.  LOL

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Go yellow fastcat,if you like to powder bust and go deep id go with the gade.buy a rev in 2004 when (hopefully) it will come out in a longtrack.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I emailed bombardier and asked them if they had plans for a long track and adding there new 800 engines in the Rev. The anwser I got is that thay can't say anything because of confidentiality issues. I was thinking of spring ordering one but if they don't have more to offer, I'll stick with my mxz. I really do need that extra flotation and an engine that uses 25% less fuel would also be nice. I'm sure the Rev is a good sled but I don't want to beat myself up because I couldn't wait a couple of months for what I want.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
I agree AC.I would like an 800HO longtrack REV,so I think I might sit this one out and wait and see to get what I really want.I think I will just get a paddle track for my MXZ and stud the paddle for next year and wait.They say patience is a virtue,all good things come to those that wait.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I don't care what manufacturer it is fastcat, if I had a new sled with all of the problems you had I would jump ship.  With the problems that you have had, do you really want a first year AC?  I also don't believe the REV is that much better than the MXZ.  There is a very informative post on americansnowmobiler.com from a guy that spent many miles in the seat of the REV and was able to go back and forth from his 700MXZX and claimed the differences were very small.  I'll go get the post.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
MX-Z Man on 2/27/2002 9:47:00 PM

Well I got a chance to ride the REV last night. The conditions to test it were perfect except for some intermentent visiablity problems. The trails were full of 1-2 footers, junk corners, tight turns, and decent straights. For comparison I brought my VERY well dialed in ''02 700X. The REV was the sled making the rounds at various dealers and had used by many. I was somewhat surprised at the results.
My first impression: The REV absolutely makes bumps go away. They are non-existant. The seating position was as natural as you cuold possiably have. The moving windshield is a non-issue as is the rear snowflap. I took it down the trail in a shakedown run, getting the feel of the sled. It does not take 2 hours to get used to, it takes about 2 minutes, if that long. Its sweet. After a short run I picked up the speed (actually WOT) in the straights, again, no bumps through the 1-2 footers. I slowed down and into the severely rutted corner and it was slightly upset, although not out of control. Back on the gas for some more straights, its good. Back to get my sled for a back-to-back.
My 700X, same trail: Geez, its about the same quality of ride, actually more stable through the corner. Better go back and get the REV for another, longer run.
REV again: Same trail, only a longer, farther run. About the same results. At this time one of my riding buddys was on my 700X. We put the 2 side-by-side through the straight 1-2 footers. The sleds were absolutely even from start to finish, side-by-side, all the way to the end of the trail. Well...
We stopped and discussed what we all liked about each of the sleds and did some more short and longer runs.
Last REV run: LONG run, through some real junk. The sled works great, seems somewhat squirrly sometimes, turning in air but easily corrected.
Last 700X run: Same stretch of trail, perfect. God I love that sled!
Final Impressions: The REV is a great sled. It will make good riders out of bad riders. Many who THINK they can ride will wreck it. Believe me. I think this sled would make an awesome touring sled because of the natural upright riding position. Personally I thought I was going to HAVE to have one. I don''t. I like my 700X at least as well, if not better. I''m not trading. I do think SD is making a mistake not offering the X package in the ZX-X chassis. I do think if your not on a ''02 X you''ll find it to be way better than what your currently on. If I had to buy either one new today I''m not really sure what I''d do.
For the record the trails doing our side-by-sides on were straight, flat(but rutted), and completely empty. I put about 25 miles on the sled throughout the night. We were the ONLY sleds on this section of trail. We were putting no other sleds in danger, and we were NOT drinking. The other riders testing this sled were SD and Cat riders. The Cat guy was trading this week (hes buying it) and I''m not sure what the SD guys are doing.
You''ve got to try it, its great, but so is my current sled...Good luck and enjoy.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Well thats not the story i got from my guy.  His own words after riding it were.  I used to think the ZX was great at handling but its a boat compared to the REV.  He said he couldn't go back.  

My Ck3 can keep up to a ZX in corners.  

It sound like this guy is in love with his ZX and just cant except the fact that its now being updated by somthing way better.  

Blair morgen also said the rev is way better in one of the magazines.  And from what i could tell just by sitting on it, it will be much more aggrissive and faster in all situations.  

Sitting on the rev is like riding the tank on a zx only comfortable.  Physics say that the rev will be faster and i belive it.  

But im not going to argu this because i have not had a chance to ride it so that guy might be right.  But my dealer and some pretty big names are saying its way better and personnally with all the chassie improvments and suspention improvments i wouldnt think otherwise.

Look how its doing in the races...

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I have a silly question about Ski-Doo.... If this rev is so rank and is going to such a big hit than why are they not droping any versions of the ZX. Yamaha is so confident they did away with the SRX and Cat had dumped the ZR 5 and 6. I remember that when Doo came out with the ZX they instantly droped the S2000 MXZ because they knew it was going to work good. I think that they are crapping themselfs hoping that the general public will pump it up enough to make sales. Personaly I dont care because I will ride any brand that is going to boost my fun factor........If I wanted to ride sitting strait up and down with the engine between my legs I would go ride an ATV.  

Personaly I can think of a couple of times this year that I was in the air and very happy that my sled has the engine in the front pulling that nose back down

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Skidoo kept the ZX because they are doing a very radical change.  They want to satifiy customers and its still a very appeling chassie that just won sled of the year.  It should be the new home for the Mach.  

Yamaha just added a diffrent style of engine but the basic snowmobile design is still there other then the cool pipes sticking out the back.  But yamaha killed almost all there machines and only kept the big dogs.  If you ask me yamaha isnt a great company to compair to bombarider.  Yamaha does there own thing and appeal to people diffrently then bombardier.  Its like compairing apples to oranges.  

Yamaha is out to make a quality sled and skidoo and cat are out there to make a race sled.  

This is the first sled that was designed around the rider.  It will handle better in air then anything because the weight is centralized.  If you want to bring the nose down hit the brake!!

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I must have missed it, but what models has the a-arm front end on the current 2002 yamaha's machzzzz1?

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I dont buy it. As for the sled of the year it was just thair turn because we all know its not the best right now. If the ZX was so great it should have wonevery time for the past few years because they have not made ANY changes accept the stickers.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Suspention isnt the issue.  Weight is.  

The RX-1 has a-arms but the design is the same as every sled before it.  Where the rider sits and where the engine is.  Now skidoo didnt really do much with the engine they moved it back a bit.  Cat put the engine right on the ground.  But if you as me we are the biggest problem because we weigh more then anyother component on the sled.  Skidoo realised this and desided to move the rider forward and the only way to do this was to have him sit upright so his legs go strait down.  

The RX-1 is appeling but its not in the same class as the sleds were talking about.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Well what is the best right now?  

Forget the racing.  On the trails the ZX is top notch.  

And does 10inch of travle to 13 qualify as a change.  They changed the whole rear skid.  Thats half of the machine.  The ZX is proven and it was always near the front in the races.  Last year all i saw was blair morgan racing at the front and its the same this year.

·
Registered
858 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Sled-head : Personaly I can think of a couple of times this year that I was in the air and very happy that my sled has the engine in the front pulling that nose back down [/b][/quote]

My brother had a chance to ride the Rev and to try a couple of jumps. According to him, the sled goes horizontal right after takeoff and stays that way for landing. It's the most stable sled he's ridden so far.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts