Snowmobile World banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I spring ordered my Rev 600 last april I thought about the 1-1/4" track option, but decided to go with 120 studs instead, seeing that studs on the higher profile track would be quite prone to damage. Now I am concerned with all the negative stuff I have heard about studding this sled. It is still at the dealer's waiting for tunnel protector kit to arrive (maybe not till mid Dec. dealer says). I e-mailed Bombardier about it and got a courteous, but useless response. I am a big advocate of studding sleds, appreciating the safety and performance advantage.
The question is this: Does anyone have experience with a 1-1/4" track as opposed to studs? I am guessing that the high lug will not help out on ice much. I need to make a decision fast, as I do not want the first big snow fall to come without my sled in the garage.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I emailed bombardier the same question and got the same lame response you did to contact my dealer for more info.

What I know is this...

You need the tunnel protection kit for studding both tracks that is supposed to arrive shortly for the REV. The 1.25" track requires and ADDITIONAL kit and part # that must be installed. I spoke with WOODYS support about this and they are still unclear as to the work involved and how long the second kit will take to come in. He said they may have to even remove the drive shaft to install the second kit. The 1" track only requires the one kit and will be ready soon.

·
Registered
278 Posts
You dont have to use the tunnel protection kit on the 1" lug track. You do have to put in the larger tunnel protection(1") into the heat exchangers. Because the tunnel protectors are not over the windows you just have to keep this in mind when you put studs down the middle belt. Keep studes in aprx 1" from edge of track window. Now for the Kit doo has coming I think this is a new insert that will place the tunnel protectors over the windows. or out side belt ??? I dont think you need this you just have to keep the out side stud in 1" from the edge of the window so it will not hit the tunnel protector. As for the tail end When I looked at mine there is slots for protection but again dont think you need this with the 1" track looked to be lots of room for the studs I pushed the sled through is travel and never does it come close to the flap.But again this is only with the 1" lug I think the 1.25 track will be a problem. If anyone knows otherwise post it :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Originally posted by Muskoka.doo@Nov 21 2002, 12:08 PM
You dont have to use the tunnel protection kit on the 1" lug track. You do have to put in the larger tunnel protection(1") into the heat exchangers. Because the tunnel protectors are not over the windows you just have to keep this in mind when you put studs down the middle belt. Keep studes in aprx 1" from edge of track window. Now for the Kit doo has coming I think this is a new insert that will place the tunnel protectors over the windows. or out side belt ??? I dont think you need this you just have to keep the out side stud in 1" from the edge of the window so it will not hit the tunnel protector. As for the tail end When I looked at mine there is slots for protection but again dont think you need this with the 1" track looked to be lots of room for the studs I pushed the sled through is travel and never does it come close to the flap.But again this is only with the 1" lug I think the 1.25 track will be a problem. If anyone knows otherwise post it :)
what i understand from a factory rep.at the novi show you have to remove the seat ,gas tank,lower the track and rivet another channel over top the windows...the new protectors would then slide in...he also said to keep all the studs in center of track.this is for a 1" track.he had photo's showing this....1.1/4 track is another ballgame

·
Registered
278 Posts
Originally posted by mxz600rer@Nov 22 2002, 02:34 PM
Go to http://www.wiem.com/ttm1019df2.htm they have some tips also. They mention studding just the center and a max of 144.
Why could you not just slide in new tunnel protection and stud inside of the protectors. Would this not do the same thing. You would just have to keep your stud pattern tighter then if your protectors were above the windows. Keep the stud in 1.5" from the edge of the track window and you are sure to clear the tunnel protectors. Sure would save having to remove the seat ,gas tank,lower the track and rivet another channel over top the windows just to gain 2" of total track area.
What was doo thinking :(

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Put on the 1 1/4 or better yet, an 1 1/2 track, there, problem solved!
Studs? No thanks!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Originally posted by Mikadoo@Nov 23 2002, 03:32 AM
Put on the 1 1/4 or better yet, an 1 1/2 track, there, problem solved!
Studs? No thanks!
1 1/4 or 1 1/2 track will not do me much good on ice or ice covered trails such as we get here. I dont know anyone that studs for snow it is the ice that can be a problem. :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
I can't say that I like studs because they are noisey and can shorten the life of a track. Though I agree that studs don't make much difference in deep snow. It's the icy corners and hills that you come upon where a studded track can save you or your sled. I had a bad experience once with a non-studded arctic cat cougar 2-up. I came around this corner followed by a steep hill. The hill happened to be all ice covered underneath the snow. When I climbed about half way up the hill I started to spin and couldn't pull out of it. Suddenly the sled started to slid backwards real fast. I had to jump off to the side of the sled to hold it from rolling over down into a gully next to the hill. I did manage to control things and ended up with only a couple of knee bruises. Lucky for me, it could of been much worse. Since that time I've had my tracks studded especially for safety reasons. As for studding my Rev when it arrives, I will let my dealer handle the whole job instead of dealing with the headache myself.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts